cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

Full fibre insallation

Go to solution

I had an "engineer" come today that was supposed to fit full fibre,  the room that is closest to the telegraph pole which the fibre optic cable comes from is not the room where my smarthub 2 is located, we are a terrace so no side access. The engineer was sub contractor to  openreach, a company I have never heard of and said he could not do it. My BT phone is also in another room to my hub. Surely all I really need is and RJ45 extension cable  from the ONT box to the router and a BT DV phone adapter to plug in my BT cordeless phone base. Is this correct or am I missing something? The "engineer" asked if I had been sent anything which I have not. Is there any limit to the length from the ouside wall the ONT box can be. I'm confused got to wait another three weeks at least now, hopefully for an openreach guy to come.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: Full fibre insallation

Go to solution

Openreach and their contractors only install the ONT and router adjacent to each other. If you wish to site the router remotely from the ONT, it is down to you to provide the necessary Ethernet cabling. Your cordless base station can simply be plugged into the green phone socket at the rear of the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

where did you want/expect fitter to position your ONT apart from your house wall nearest to the pole with fibre.  openreach will not run the fibre over the roof.

if you want a DV adapter which plugs in to main socket then you will need to request one once DV installed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

Re: Full fibre installation

Go to solution

When I placed my order, I specifically told them the facts that I have mentioned in my post, I was told that they could install any additional wiring as required, the hub is in a position central to my property as installed by BT, if the ONT cannot be installed where the hub is currently installed then they should not tell me that it can be. I also told them I do not want to plug my phone into the back of the hub, it is not in a suitable position behind my PC. What will they do when all the copper systems are gone in 2025? They will have to do something. The whole thing is a farce. If as you say "Openreach and their contractors only install the ONT and router adjacent to each other,"  then I will have to cancel the order.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

I expected them to fit it where I wanted it fitting, where BT told me they told me that it could be fitted, I don't want it fitting over the roof just in the next room. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

On a Standard Installation they can run up to a maximum of 10m Internally.

On a Premium I believe it’s 50m.

Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

@stanian 

to have any hope of getting ONT position at or near where you want you need to ensure that it is an openreach person who comes to do install as they are salaried and 'go extra mile' unlike the contractors who are paid on job completion.  so faster complete job and moved to next job more money the get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

@stanian wrote:

What will they do when all the copper systems are gone in 2025? They will have to do something.

Copper is not disappearing in 2025, the analogue phone system (PSTN) is.

The whole thing is a farce. If as you say "Openreach and their contractors only install the ONT and router adjacent to each other,"  then I will have to cancel the order.

Openreach do not install Ethernet cabling, that is your responsibility, just as internal phone wiring is your responsibility now. They simply provide a short patch lead to connect ONT and Router.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

So they only do half a job then, it was BT or openreach themselves who installed my router where it is, central to the property, so it should be up to them to get the fibre to the router. it's not much to ask. Is it?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

It's not half a job the job is to install fibre to your home not necessarily where you want it if that is to far from fibre entry point.  You may find the next installer is more accommodating