cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Hub constantly dropping

Hi

Just asking if anyone has experienced the same thing as i am, not being great with the tech stuff. Since i joined BT from Plusnet a couple of years ago i have had nothing but problems with the hub losing connection, sometimes up to three times a day for around 30-60 seconds before reconnecting. Over the past 12 months BT have sent several engineers out to my house and every one has failed to detect any problem at all. On the last visit the hub dropped out when the engineer was here, he said as my tv didnt drop out before the hub the problem would be the signal into the house. Yet again no problem was found after a lot of testing. The only thing the engineer did was to give me a shorter cable to connect the hub to the master socket as this had been moved during a complete room renovation. The hub is now about 10 feet from the socket so that shouldnt be a problem. I was with Plusnet for 13 years without any problem at all with the same set up apart from the relocation of the master socket, and not having a landline phone. Ive restarted the hub after switching off and unplugging, and all the other things advised, the longest its been connected without dropping is two weeks. Theres no point contacting BT again as like before no problem will be found, its just im not getting the service im paying for, i thought it might be the upstream speed and thought about an active return amplifier but as i say im not really up on this. Just checked speeds this morning downstream speed is 39.999Mbps upstream speed is 7.994Mbps. The only other thing i can think of is moving the master socket back into its original position but dont think the hub being 10feet away from it should cause a problem.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Hub constantly dropping

can you post stats from your hub enter 192.168.1.254 into browser address bar and in hub manager go to advanced settings then technical log information and post the stats

is the hub dropping connection - lights change colour from blue or is it your wifi that is dropping?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Sorry its taken so long to reply ive been away and didnt recieve an email notifying me of an answer. Not really into the tech side but stats ive found from hub, fibre broadband (VDSL), Downstream sync speed 39.999 mbps, Upstream sync speed 8.294 mbps. It tends to drop out about two or three times a week for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, normally the hub light flashes orange the last time it happened the hub light was steady green, first time thats happened.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Perhaps you can give more information on your master socket move is it definitely the master socket and not an extension, if it’s the master socket , who moved it ( strictly speaking something Openreach should do ) , so who moved it , and how did they move it ( using what connections/ wiring ) , if I were to hazard a guess , if some poorly connected wiring was used to change the position of the master socket , that’s probably the issue , although if you have had Openreach visits presumably this was looked at.

Is your property served from a pole ( so the route of the cable from the pole to the master socket is mainly external ) or served underground ?

Message 5 of 16

Yes - I had this problem for over ten years. Would drop out two to three times a day every time the sun came out or the temperature changed. BT, then Openreach engineers never got to the bottom of it because the engineers sent never had the skillset to trace it, and it usually never happened whilst they were on site. They said it was fine because the speed was still high - but that ignored the untenable disruption when working from home on teams calls etc.

I knew it was a High Resistance Disconnection (I.e. corroded cable or joint). They probably knew it too. But the effort was never put in to find it.

So I have been waiting for fibre to the house to solve the problem. Another long story but that has been fraught and has required a new pole. However as part of that they had to replace the cable up the pole to a new DP. Guess what - when that was installed the disconnection problem magically disappeared and my VDSL is now rock solid.

So I wish you luck, but the chances of getting an engineer who has the tenacity to trace intermittent faults like this is low.

Message 6 of 16

I have the same issue for a long time , I can see from the log that it disconnects randomly for a minute or two, BT sent a technical guy out who was very nice but he wasn't an openreach engineer, just a person who could check and show me what I could already see myself ! Master socket has been changed and all cables are ok and wifi fine, just keeps losing line connection, too much to keep taking time off work & waiting in for engineers. BT customer service say they couldn't see anything wrong from there end !

You can see from the main login page 

Network uptime:

4 Days, 00 Hours 09 Minutes

System Uptime

16 Days, 00 Hours 28 Minutes

Message 7 of 16

The hub is connected straight into the master socket about 14 ft from where it was, i had the room stripped back to brick a couple of years ago and parts of the wiring were in poor condition due to the age of the building, the room was rewired by electrical contractors used by the building firm, the master socket was moved from its original position on the wall behind where the pc is siuated by the window where the wiring enters  the property, it is now situated by the other window on the other side of the chimney breast where the wiring now enters the property through the other window. The property is served from a pole right across the street, every engineer has said they cant find a fault, the last engineer was present when it dropped out but all checks couldnt find a problem, i asked about moving the master socket back to its previous position, he gave me a shorter cable than what i had running under the carpet and it was ok for a couple of weeks then started again. The pc is in the back room and the tv in the front room is connected by a cat 6a cable running under the carpet but as it was longer than the run is coiled. I also have a firestick hardwired. ive looked at options moving the pc set up but its more convienient where it is, i dont want to pay for the master socket to be moved back only for the problem to continue. Strange as i had 13 years with no problem with Plusnet who use the same system. Last week p recieved a text from BT telling me my broadband wasnt performing as it should, then a follow up saying checks showed no problem so the problem must be internal, dont know how to go about checking that, BT did give me a discount for one month and changing supplier im still going to be using the same network, i tried Vigin some years ago but the box is in the front room and their service was terrible so continued with Plusnet till the BT change. If BT cant do anymore seems im stuck.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Network uptime 0 days 02 hours 44 mins

System uptime 0 days 02 hours 45 mins

The other thing when the engineer came he had a log of how many time the system had dropped out, ons day showed 19 drop outs but there was no impact on the tv that day weird.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Thanks ive got FTTP and checking the services on BT site full fibre in my area is going to be available in 2026, doesnt seem much i can do really.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Did you restart the Hub two hours ago? If not I would have thought that the system uptime would be when it was last restarted. Like as @daisymike posted. Although I have little knowledge of BT Hubs, so maybe someone else can confirm.

When the master socket was moved, did they re-route the drop wire or extend it with an external junction box?

0 Ratings