cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Hybrid Connect won't pair

Hi there, I currently don't use the DHCP, DNS or WiFi from my Smart Hub 2, it only routes and provides the Digital Voice service.

I am unable to get the Hybrid Connect device to pair with the Smart Hub 2, it simply flashes green forever. 

I have tried factory resetting the Hybrid Connect, with no luck, the device does show in the Connected Devices table, but still, the BT hub won't pair with it.

Any ideas?

droidd_0-1711926951299.png

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Hybrid Connect won't pair

First off, taken from a previous post here from @DanielS ...

Officially, the hybrid connect for residential service should only work with our residential Smart Hub 2. Even though they are very similar pieces of equipment, they each use their own custom firmware making the business Smart Hub 2 look as if it's a third party router, which aren't supported.

So hopefully you are using a normal BT Smart Hub and not a BT Business Smart Hub.

You might need to wait at least 30mins for everything to setup completely, especially if it needs a firmware update, if you read previous posts some have left it for a day or two to setup.

You also need wifi on for your Hybrid Connect to connect to the Smart Hub 2 after it's setup via ethernet cable if you have it not attached.

See here:

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/getting-set-up/setting-up-hybrid-connect

When you first set up Hybrid Connect, you need to attach it to your Smart Hub 2 with an Ethernet cable. But after that you can use wi-fi instead - just remove the Ethernet cable and restart your Hybrid Connect. It will automatically link to your Smart Hub 2 via wi-fi.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks, it is a normal residential Smart Hub 2. I've tried leaving it for 30 minutes, even under factory settings, aka leaving the BT router on it's default IP and subnet, with DHCP on. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Yes it's always best to connect the two devices when their on their default settings so to speak.

Then once connected, you can go back through settings and turn off certain features that you don't require.

The Hybrid Connect will just be connecting to the DHCP server in the Smart Hub 2, and that would assign the IP address for it.

So, in theory, if you're using your own DHCP server with DHCP turned off on the Smart Hub 2, then it should just get an IP address from your server instead.

Unless somewhere in the firmware it doesn't like that method and will only pair if using DHCP from a Smart Hub only, especially if you're trying to use static IP addresses, as all IP addresses allocated by a router are allocated via DHCP.

It has been setup like yours before and people have posted about it, like here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/Hybrid-Connect-network-switch-separate-DHCP-server/td-p/...

If you are still experiencing problems with pairing, then I suggest giving BT a call on 0800 800 150 to report a fault with your Hybrid Connect, they should then put you through to the Hybrid team who can hopefully help more on this and tell you if it can or can't be done this way.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

“So, in theory, if you're using your own DHCP server with DHCP turned off on the Smart Hub 2, then it should just get an IP address from your server instead”.

Just a thought…if you are running your own router as a different subnet then this will give the Hybrid unit an address in the wrong range.  (If it worked at all).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I think the OP has tried with the hub in its factory default state without success.

@droidd are you sure your account is correctly configured as Halo3+ you need to confirm that with customer services.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Yep, Halo 3+, it was configured when the engineer did the install 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I only have the one router, I have a separate DHCP server running in the same subnet as the BT hub
0 Ratings