cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

INSTALLATION OF FTTP

I'm on FTTC.

I have been advised that i can get FTTP.My understanding is that FTTP comes straight from the exchange (about 1 mile) from home,no  poles around & the phones & my broardband are under ground from the street cabinet ( approx. 100 mtrs ) from home.I live in a flat each has it's own entrance door,only 28 of them,on private land behind a church,the church car park is tarmac,but the entrance road to the flats is block paving.How will they get the  fibre cable from the road to the flat if they are not going to use the existing duct from the cabinet.I've done the house check thing & it showed that the duct is congested,not sure what that means unless it is one from the exchange leading to the road where the cabinet is.

I can see possible issues if openreach need to dig up the church car park & the block paving,the land is owned by the church.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: INSTALLATION OF FTTP

can you enter your phone number and post results including the notes  this will give indication of type of install

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

FTTP does not come from the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

I'm getting.

There is no data available for this number,this could be because it is not a bt line or it is a new bt number that has just been provided.

I've only had this number for around 60 years.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

are you a bt Broadband customer?  if you have digital voice then use your address but remember to delete before posting

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

FTTP does not come from the exchange”

From https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

Also known as Fibre to the Home (FTTH) or Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband.  This is our most reliable, fastest broadband with a pure fibre optic cable straight into your home or business directly from your nearby exchange.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Although it may say that ( and it’s the Openreach site ) it doesn’t make it correct , FTTP doesn’t necessarily originate from the customers local exchange, many local exchange areas are served from one headend exchange , fibres from here feed many aggregation nodes , which in turn feed splitter nodes which in turn feed the CBT that the customers lead in are connected to,( this is slightly simplified for clarity) 

I guess the over simplified OR site is trying show the difference between the FTTP network , and the copper network ( running both ADSL and FTTC/VDSL ) with copper E sides to a PCP ( copper cabinet ) copper D sides to the DP ( distribution point ) and lead-in to the customer address.

Someone with FTTP could live on the same street as their local exchange but the ‘exchange’ ultimately delivering their FTTP service could be up-to 40Km away .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Re Spile.

I also found that on the Openreach website.

I checked exchanges as well & this came up.

"Your powered by Maghull Exchange"

So based on that i imagine that my connection ,if i go ahead ,would come direct from that exchange ( about a mile from where i live "

Having said that my main concern would be,regardless of how  it arrives to the entrance road to  where i'm located,how they would go about getting the cables to my flat.I can't see them digging up the car park to the Church or digging up the block paving to to the flats or even paving stone walk ways & grassed areas.Sounds like a nightmare to be honest.

Ref.Imjolly

I am a BT customer .Fibre to the cabinet.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

if you used the link I posted with your address then that will indicate in the notes how openreach intend to supple you with FTTP

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@Cliff  - you're living in a flat? If, as is usually the case, it is leasehold, then you would need to show the freeholder has approved before any groundwork can be carried out.

I suggest you speak to your neighbours, or the leaseholders association if one exists, to check whether any others may also like to switch to FTTP. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I did use the link but for whatever reason the page will not copy,lots of stuff that i do not understand but it does say,UG duct congested.Don't know what duct they are talking about unless it's the one from the street cabinet that carries the phone cables for the flats & i believe ends in the middle of a grassed area under a manhole cover.The BT guys were working there a few years ago after a car ran into a green cabinet about a 1/4 mile from the smaller one on a wall by the entrance to the property & knocked some of the phones out.
Don't know if they might be intending to use that same duct.
0 Ratings