cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

Low upload speed

Hi I have had full fibre 70 for over a year now and despite download speed being very consistent , my upload speed drops to nearly 0 every few weeks. I have to endlessly restart router to get it back. Sometimes it doesn't work at all after an hour or so trying 

I'm really at the end of my tether!

Last year bt sent out an engineer who was only interested in download speeds. I was also sent a new smart hub 2 which hasnt made any differencea

Please help!

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: Low upload speed

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

Hi mate. Thanks for reply. No it has been exactly the same. I have just rebooted the router every few weeks to try and kick it back in. Hit or miss but I shouldn't be having to do it!

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

Please can you help?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 31

There isn’t any Full Fibre 70 product, so what is the name of the package you have ?, if you have FTTP ( full fibre ) generally it either works up and down or doesn’t work at all, if there is an optical path and it’s of sufficient ‘power’ it should be OK , and as your individual connection is effectively identical to every other user on the PON , if there were an issue with the headend , it would affect every user on your PON , not just you….however , your individual ONT and router could have issues , has either or both been replaced ?
If you have full fibre , there is no reduction in speed due to line length etc , you ‘connect’ any whatever speed you pay for , throughput can vary due to the number of users on the PON and how intensive they are ( with how they use their broadband ) perhaps you share your PON with intensive up-loaders , that are hogging the bandwidth ….there is 1.2Gb upload bandwidth, that’s unlikely to be the answer though as even if you have ‘neighbours’ uploading 4K videos ( for example ) your upload speed shouldn’t fall to nothing .

Can you post how you are measuring your upload speed , the router stats are irrelevant , you should be measuring using a wired device , post a few speed tests , preferably from a few speed tester sites.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

Thank you so much for getting back to me. It's much appreciated

I live on a new build estate. We all have fibre preinstalled. I am on the fibre 2 package. Promises 70mb download speed. I have had no problems with the download speed. When the upload is normal, it sits around 20mb. The majority of the time however, it sits between 0 and 3. I am quicker using 4g to send Whatsapp videos etc!

I have just done a couple of tests on tv via wired connection

Pictures are too big to upload it says

Using fast.com I got 72 down and 2.6 up

Using speedtest I got 70.4 down and 1.92 up

Let me know if can provide anything else. Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

Another smart hub 2 was sent out last year which made no difference. An engineer came out and couldn't find fault

Cheers 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

Are your speed tests using a wired device or wireless ( WiFi ) ?, if it’s wireless there may be nothing wrong with the connection just the environment is affecting WiFi performance, I know of some new builds where the plasterboard internal walls are foil backed and does limit WiFi , if it is wireless and you have access to a device that can be wired directly ( laptop preferably ) hook it up with an Ethernet cable and re try speed tests , obviously if your speed tests are with a wired device already  , it cannot be a WiFi issue.

If you do have a laptop , to eliminate the router as the issue , you could  connect the laptop directly to the ONT , set up a PPPoE session and run a speed test , if OK directly wired to the ONT  and poor using a wired connection to the router , then perhaps your router is kaput 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Yeh that's a wired connection to tv

Could you explain how to set that thing up to laptop?

Cheers 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

As there may be variations depending on the operating system of the laptop , a search would probably be the easiest way to find PPPOE set up instructions, the login credentials ( AFAIK)  are standard for all BT customers , so nothing to look for as  individual but again a search should find the required BT login info, TBH , I’m not sure using a speed test app on a smart TV is the best way to test speed , but connecting a PC , should prove one way or another…, if the TV is the only wired way you have done a speed test , obviously you could try the laptop connected to the router with an Ethernet cable first , before trying to connect it directly to the ONT.

As already stated , you may be unlucky to be on the same PON , with other customers ( not necessarily with BT but using OR infrastructure) taking faster packages with 100Mb upload , and if they are saturating the upload , it may account for your variable ( 20Mb ) upload speed…with congestion it’s worth trying at ‘quiet’ times , if the issue is only during peak periods ( something like 6pm- 9pm ) then it may just be that, although the way the headend handles demand , it should share the available bandwidth equitably