cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Re: Fibre connection to a new build

Can someone please help me.  Fibre is in the footpath from Giganet, although it's not live yet.  I have built two new bungalows behind a pore existing dwelling;  Can i put BT Open reach or similar ducting with a draw string from the footpath to the new houses and expect BT or Giganet or someone to connect it up?    This is because BT Openreach are way too slow and they want 2K for each dwelling, which since we will be putting the ducting in anyway is actually 2K for pulling a cable from the footpath to the dwelling. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Giganet use their own Network and Infrastructure, you’d need to contact whatever equivalent of New Sites they have.

Also do you genuinely believe the £2k is just to pull a fibre from the footpath as you word it?

I can assure you that from someone who has Built and Maintained FTTP Infrastructure for years that the complexity of a GPON Fibre Network is more than simply pulling in a Cable from a Footpath.

In your post you’ve acknowledged Openreach don’t have any Fibre Infrastructure there already so they have to factor in the cost of getting a Fibre Cable from the nearest Agg Node that has sufficient capacity, which could be 4, 5, 6km away. In fact I can virtually guarantee Openreach will be making a loss on that £2k.

Why do people always have this idea BT and or Openreach are some kind of Social Service who should sell Products/Services at cost value?

Tell me, as a Builder why don’t you sell the house at its build value. If it costs say £150,000 all in to build them why sell it at £250,000, £275,000, etc?

Message 3 of 5

Wouldn't BT Open reach use the Giganet fibre ?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

No, as  already said Giganet is a private Alt Net. Only Giganet can use it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

No, Openreach don’t use other Alt Nets Infrastructure. 

As I said, if you don’t plan on connecting up to Openreaches Infrastructure and want to use Giganets you'll have to contact them. 

0 Ratings