cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Rented property - Fibre Avalbility

Hi all,

We're looking into ordering full fibre in our rented property. CityFibre was here some time ago drilling up right outside our door on the public footpath and around the general area - at first we thought we could only order with them, but now the fibre network is (seemingly) also available with OpenReach.

I used our UPRN to look into things before we ask permission from the Landlord but given we're in a MDU surely it's going to be a no go? I noticed it says "Multi Dwelling Unit Residential MDU Built to Curtilage External Build required" - which I assume would mean digging something up to connect with the fibre underneath the footpath? I hope it would be a simple installation, but the wholesale checker doesn't have me convinced. We have a small path to our door (which has a hedge and gravel which surrounds the whole building) which I am certain is owned by the company who manages the building, not the Landlord. We're on the ground floor if that helps. And currently we are on VDSL (I believe)

The results of the checker:

Screenshot from 2024-04-29 22-56-19.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Rented property - Fibre Avalbility

To also note that your in a FTTP priority exchange area which means providers that use Openreach will only be able to provide your with FTTP anyway for new contracts and contract renewals as FTTP it's available to order for your address.

More about Openreach's copper stop sell and FTTP priority exchanges: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi 🙂 Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by this, sorry? On my BT account it says we're able to upgrade to the 900mbps package.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@bitterwinter 

Sorry my last post meant that FTTP/Full Fibre is the only way to get broadband from a provider such as BT that uses Openreach going forward as Openreach have stopped selling VDSL/FTTC and copper based services in your exchange area where FTTP/Full Fibre is available to a property.

So any kind of ground works would need to be done initially anyway if anyone wants a broadband connection going forward as it's now a full fibre only area.

Message 5 of 10

The survey network note (SNN) for MDU’s is vague because there are many variations on a MDU , a 1960’s tower block , or a small building containing a couple of units ….medium and larger MDU in effect need to be built separately from the general FTTP rollout for that area , some smaller MDU can be thought of as SDU ( single dwelling unit ) if they can be served in a regular way , for example if a small 4 unit block two ground floor flats two 1st floor and a pole exists , possibly already providing the copper pair services, then providing service for the top two is the same as a regular house ( possibly needing long ladders ) the ground floor potentials needing the flat above permission for the cable to attach to ‘their’ flat before running down the wall .

MDU that are currently served by  internal copper distribution, so a large single   copper cable  ( containing multiple pairs of wires ) enters the building underground to a distribution point and internal cables ( one per flat ) provide the individual connections ( this is normally what medium and large MDU have) , need ‘planning’ and permission from the appropriate stakeholders ( freeholder , managing agent , etc ) .

Without knowing the details of your MDU it’s impossible to know what is required, but the order process must be different as Openreach can’t just  send out an installer , and obviously depending on the freeholder attitude etc.  it’s impossible to know the time frame 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

If it’s a small MDU, i.e. 4-10 Flats they may have built it Externally either using a Pushlock CBT or External Basement Box and then fitting External Breakout Boxes between 2 Flats.

Have you seen anything recently installed either inside or out. Openreach have recently started using UFS Boxes and they aren’t Openreach Branded yet as I assume they’re buying them off the shelf as opposed to having them made specifically for them.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Thank you for the info, yeah, this is sort of what I am worried about. Despite it being available in the area it does seem to be a nightmare for the service to be provided to MDUs. At this point I might contact OpenReach or BT and see what they think, alternatively I may just see what happens if I order, as like another person said, it's now a fibre only area anyway when the copper network retires. Wish it wasn't so (seemingly) complicated!

In terms of you speaking about a network of copper underneath the MDU, I am fairly certain that is what we have as a Openreach engineer mentioned this when we first got the service, mentioning  a "spider web of copper cables"

@36ULWIt is a small ish (?) MDU. It's four stories. Unfortunately we've not noticed any boxes or anything like that but I will have another look. All we saw was the fibre being put in around the area, including right outside of our door underneath the pavement and around the property (under paths, roads etc.)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

How many Flats in total?

Openreach put MDU’s into 3 Categories.

5-10 Build.

The other is just basically anything more than 11.

Also there’s something called High Density Builds. These are the kind of big Apartment Complex’s you get in large Cities. 

With 5-10 MDU’s Openreach now basically build the Splitter and or Intermediate Joint outside and then Commission the MDU as part of the PON so people can Order it. Once the first Order Drops in they will then contact the MA to allow them to build it. 5-10 MDU’s tend to be owned by an Individual Landlord and or Housing Association so it’s fairly easy to get Permissions as they’re dealing with that one person.

11+ Builds can be more complex as that’s when you tend to go down the route of Dealing with multiple parties like Landlords, Land Owners, Lease Agents, etc. 

The biggest problem with some larger MDU’s is the Buildings are owned by Investment Companies in places like the Middle East and when Openreach have approached them they’re basically ignored because the MDU owner couldn’t care less about what services are available to residents, they only care about the Investment of the Building and the Land it sits on. That’s why Openreach have been lobbying Labour to give them permission to build in all MDU’s without the Building Owners consent.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Sorry for the late reply @36ULW I believe there are 10 flats in total (give or take). Though the communal building is  owned by a company. Whether it has a parent company from a foreign investor  I’ll need to took into. But in general it’s not a super large MDU, definitely on the small - medium side. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

If it’s a 5-10 Build then they allow residents to order FTTP regardless.

Its only when an orders placed do Openreach start the process of getting Managing Agents Permissions so your typical Order will take longer than that of someone who lives in an SDU with an existing Network already built.

0 Ratings