cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Request ONT Move

Hello! Looking for some advice on how I can request a move for my ONT fibre modem that's installed in my house. I moved into the house in June 2023 and the ONT was already installed. It is fixed in the hallway by the front door however there are NO plugs located near here to power it on! The closest plug is a good 8ft away and I've had a cable trailing across the hall for the time being. I'm now about to start decorating so no longer want this trip hazard. 

I've no clue why it got installed there anyway due to the no power outlets. Bit of a weird one! 

Screenshot 2024-03-10 131346 (2).jpg

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Request ONT Move

You can contact BT CS to arrange moving the ONT but it will almost certainly be chargeable (>£100).

Have you considered other options such as:

1) Using an extension lead on the 12v supply side so the power plug can be in your existing socket? The 12v extension leads are available in different colours and can be more easily run along skirting etc.

2) Using a Power Over Ethernet Injector at the router end of your Ethernet cable and a Power over Ethernet Splitter at the ONT end. Make sure the Injector & Splitter are rated for 1Gbps Ethernet.

3) Looking at the optical cable extension kits to enable you to move the ONT yourself. Beware that BT / OR may not be happy with you doing this.

4) Getting an additional 13A socket installed near the ONT - might be cheaper getting an electrician to do that BT / OR to move the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@countrypaulwrote:

You can contact BT CS to arrange moving the ONT but it will almost certainly be chargeable (>£100).

It's chargeable and costs just over £96 to move the ONT

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@-Richie- wrote:
@countrypaulwrote:

It's chargeable and costs just over £96 to move the ONT

I believe that is excluding VAT, so close to £120 then.  On second thoughts I can see that a price of £98.48 has been quoted for an ONT move in other posts, but £130 for a master socket move.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Of course the ONT should never have been installed in a location where you need a trailing cable across a hallway to power it. It should be within a short distance of a wall power socket (i.e. the length of the supplied power adapters cable).

However if the previous owner agreed to this location then it looks like you are stuck with either paying for an ONT relocation, or else paying for a new power socket to be installed closer to the ONT (unless you can arrange a safer extension lead based arrangement).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

I suspect that the Openreach technician installed the ONT in the same location as the old Mastersocket, and the then home owner didn't spot the problem until the technician asked where the power socket was.
AFAIK, you have to be quite forceful in negotiation with Openreach technicians to get them to install ONTs in a different location than the old Mastersocket.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Quite the opposite in my case - when they realised the existing master socket wasn't easy to route a cable to they were trying to pursuade me to install anywhere but!

After negotiating a slightly easier route however mine is now about 50cm away from the old Master Socket.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@countrypaulwrote:

I believe that is excluding VAT, so close to £120 then.  On second thoughts I can see that a price of £98.48 has been quoted for an ONT move in other posts, but £130 for a master socket move.

No, It's £98.48 and as it's a residential account, all prices include VAT
A socket move is £130 though but an ONT is cheaper.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Mine isn't even in the same room as my master socket .. they never batted an eyelid.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

How do I contact BT CS to request an ONT move?  I've read through this thread and some related ones, but nowhere can I see how to contact BT to make this request.  I cannot find it on the MyBT portal either.  Can someone advise?  Thanks

0 Ratings