cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Second ONT

I've been advised that a second ONT can't be ordered from BT, I do have an existing ONT but it's running my business broadband so wanted a second line for personal use and use my employee discount for the broadband.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Second ONT

You don’t have 2 separate ONTs, which would require 2 incoming fibre lines. Openreach will replace the existing ONT with 1 that has 2 ports, 1 for each line. The business  and residential routers would then link to the same ONT.

Message 3 of 10

I would be happy for that but every customer service agent I've spoken to says they have no option to add it, I would love a 4 port ONT, I have seen 2 ONTs fitted as well due to issues with ISPs only being able to use Port 1

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I’ve tried speaking to sale support team and they’ve said it isn’t possible so god knows at this point

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

You can have more than one ONT Installed at a premises.

I installed 3 at the same house once, one for their Business Line, one for their Personal Line and a few weeks later a third in their sons bedroom because apparently he simply couldn’t share a connection and threw a tantrum until he got his own dedicated fibre circuit.

I can’t remember who provided their Business Line but both Consumer Lines were with BT. This was long before BT and EE Merged.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Enter your address at this site
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
Look for the entry like this

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. Network is at capacity so a new ONT cannot be ordered.

This is the return for a property on a development where FTTP was provided from the outset ( new build ) and basically all the FTTP slots are in use , so this property couldn’t order a second service if they wanted to, when Openreach ‘dimension’ an area they do so on a one connection per dwelling basis, in retro build areas ( older properties that already have copper pairs , or even other operators like Virgin)  the take up of Openreach FTTP will  be less than 100% , so it’s more likely that unused slots are available for someone to have multiple services , but a new build that only has OR FTTP , is likely that every property will take their ‘allocated slot’ , so  less likely to have any spare ports .

If the note is similar but states a second ONT can be ordered , then the network has capacity for someone to have a second service, what does your address show ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

I checked the wholesale checker before attempting the order, "ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered." is showing against my address.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Apologies if it's a daft question but have you tried simply placing an order for broadband online rather than over the phone? If that works then hopefully you could sort out the discount after installation.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

It still attempts to attempt a line takeover rather than allowing me to order a new line, honestly I've tried everything, was hoping it could be manually built in Consumer.com but looks like it can't be.

0 Ratings