cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Speed guarantee claim question

Go to solution

So we only have fibre to cabinet but our speed to the router as measured by BT's own app is less than the guarantee - it appears the only way to claim compensation for less than the guaranteed speed is via opening a "contact us" form, is that correct ? Also does anyone know how long the observed speed has to be below the speed guarantee in order to qualify for compensation? Should I be screen shotting the results from the BT app as proof ?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Speed guarantee claim question

Go to solution

You don't get compensation, it is just the threshold that allows you to raise a slow speed fault.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Really, the app mentioned £20 ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

the connection speed to the router which is the guaranteed speed can be found by checking the hub stats in hub manager - advanced settings then technical log information.  can you post the stats?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
"Test my speed" in the BT iOS app reports speed to router separately from speed to device, is that not going to give me the same as the hub manager?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
speed to hub is listed as 34mps and my guarantee says 43mbps
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-bt-s-stay-fast-guarantee-

Obviously you need report any issue to ‘start the clock’ , you cannot simply call any say ‘my speed has been terrible for ages, compensate me’ .
As stated , there is connection speed and throughput speed , if you use WiFi to measure speeds , or go to websites (that BT are not responsible for ) and get poor performance, that may well be beyond BT control and responsibility.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@Hawkmoon19wrote:

Also does anyone know how long the observed speed has to be below the speed guarantee in order to qualify for compensation? Should I be screen shotting the results from the BT app as proof ?

When you join or renew a contract for broadband, BT will give you an estimated download speed and an estimated upload speed, you will also be given a stay fast guarantee for your downloads.

If the speed falls below the stay fast guarantee, you contact BT who will run diagnostics and raise a fault, BT then have 30 days to get your line above the stay fast guarantee, if after 30 days the speeds are not above the stayfast guarantee then BT will give you £20 on a pre-paid card (Max 4 claims per year)

The official wording is:

Your speed estimates

These include your download speed range, your Stay Fast Guarantee and your upload speed range.

These speed ranges are estimates. Your actual speed depends on your location, line, home wiring, wi-fi connection and time of day.

How the Stay Fast Guarantee works

The Stay Fast speed shown is an estimate based on your postcode. We’ll provide your personal Stay Fast Guarantee once we’ve checked your line. You’ll be able to see your Stay Fast speed before you complete your order.

Once you’ve joined us, we’ll constantly check and optimise your speeds. You can also test the download speed to your hub in My BT. If it’s slower than it should be, we’ll run checks to fix the problem and send out an engineer if needed.

If we can’t get your Stay Fast speed back to where it should be within 30 days of a problem being reported, you can claim £20.

At that point you can also leave your contract without penalty. This is because we’ve signed up to the Ofcom Voluntary Codes of Practice on Broadband Speeds.

0 Ratings