cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Switching from Virgin

Hi

My virgin m350 contract is coming to an end and thinking of switching to BT Full Fibre 900. 

Virgin has been reliable and have used my own Asus Wifi 6 router to improve the offering from Virgin. But not particularly happy with the offer to stay a customer.

Thoughts on full fibre 900 - only three of us in the house but heavy users, gaming, streaming etc. ? My son constantly moans about whichever provide we are with which i think in most cases is xbox live not us.

One downside would be no Wi-Fi 6 which I've had with my own router on virgin and majority of my devices are Wi-Fi 6 - any news on when a new router will be released?

Can i use my own if not?

thanks for any replies

cheers Matt

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Switching from Virgin

You are free to use your own router unless you also take out BT's Digital Voice, then you must use the smart hub.

If using your own router just set up a PPPoE connection.

User name: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: BT

Message 3 of 7

thanks for the reply

and thats a direct replacement not still connected to the BT modem and double nat issues which is why I moved away from Sky?

any thoughts on service compared to Virgin? most people only ever post the negative not the positive.

thanks Matt

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

With FTTP the ONT is the modem. As regards FTTP the service is exellent, yes there are a few who have had issues but the majority by far have had faultless service. You can expect latency in the low single figures.

Message 5 of 7

OK thanks - so in that case in terms of migration should be relatively painless and I'll be able to just plug the ASUS straight into the ONT and carry on with new provider?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Correct

Message 7 of 7

@cyclemanwrote:

Thoughts on full fibre 900 - only three of us in the house but heavy users, gaming, streaming etc. ? My son constantly moans about whichever provide we are with which i think in most cases is xbox live not us.

Worth a read maybe ? https://www.bt.com/products/broadband/gaming