cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Will this router be able to replace my BT Smart Hub 2?

Go to solution

I am thinking of buying ASUS DSL-AX82U (AX5400).

However, I know very little about technology and my limited research this evening has informed me that as I am replacing the smart hub I need a DSL router, which this is.

My concern though is that I also see that this router is not compatible with G.fast or standard ADSL and that it needs to be VDSL broadband.

Quite honestly, I am totally lost on this and I appreciate the above may even be incorrect.

Is there a way I can easily work this out? I do not want to waste time purchasing this router if it will not work.

At the moment the cable for my gigabit fiber internet is plugged into the wan port of my Smart Hub 2. I see this new router has a wan port also. 

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Will this router be able to replace my BT Smart Hub 2?

Go to solution

There could be a simple way, that being that if you have Digital Voice then you are limited to the Smart Hub 2, there is no alternative.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Not sure I understand what that means. I'm not aware of having the digital voice service.

The cable in my house is plugged into the WAN port at the back of the smart hub. I therefore assume I can plug it into the WAN port of this new router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

If you plug a cable in the WAN port of your router, you must have full fibre to the premises and the hub connects to the Openreach ONT.

That being the case, you don't need the DSL version of any Asus router, you need the RT version as you don't need the modem portion.

I'm surprised if you have full fibre that you don't have Digital Voice, how is your phone connected?

Not wishing to be rude, but as you have admitted you know nothing of the technology, I'm wondering why you think you need to buy a different router in the first place.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I don't have a phone with BT. Maybe my package has digital voice but I don't use it.

I can only get 400mbps on my wifi. I have a wifi 6 mobo so want to get 1000mbps. Also, when I disconnect my phone then my wifi on my pc goes from 200mbps to 400. Oddly, irrespective of whether my pc is connected to the Smart Hub or not, my mobile always gets 400. 

Basically, I know the Smart Hub 2 does not allow for QoS and it also is not as fast (cannot get 1gb) so hence I want a new router.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

If you don't have a BT home phone service then you needn't worry about using the SH2. As said you don't need a DSL router just the RT version or any "cable" router.

DSL router have an internal modem which is not needed for FTTP as that is what the ONT is for.

0 Ratings