cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

rebooked full fibre, just a question please

Go to solution

Hi there I had full fibre booked, but when Openreach came to do the outside, they told me the fibre would have to come in through the kitchen, due to house location, mid-terraced, My router was also located in the rear of the house in the bedroom, which is where I needed to get the fibre too.

I decided to cancel at the time, to allow me to run a cable from the upstairs bedroom to the kitchen. i am happy with it in the kitchen as it is close to stairs and less cable to run .

I have run a cat 6 ethernet cable from the router upstairs into the kitchen, which was 30m distance. I have double socket outlets in the kitchen spare . So if I am right, they put the cable into the kitchen install the ont next to one of the spare double sockets, plug it in, plug the fibre cable into that , and then just plug the ethernet cable i run into the ont and that should be it ?

Is there anything else i need to do ?

thank you

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: rebooked full fibre, just a question please

Go to solution

That seems to be just about it. Sounds like you got a contractor for the last install.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You're right in thinking that the fibre terminates at the ONT and that the ONT requires a power source, you're also correct in thinking that all you need do then is run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router so your thinking there is sound. Whether you need do anything else, say to avoid Wi-Fi blackspots,  depends on the construction and layout of your house, older houses generally present more of an obstruction to the propagation of wireless signals

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

thank you for that, one last thing, I assume I have to reconnect all my wifi devices like the digital voice telephone and tv, or does that stay the same as the router has not been renewed, the pc and consoles are hard-wired, so I guess they will be the same as now?

thank you

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

The digital voice 'phone is not a Wi-Fi device, the hub features an integral DECT base station.

If you keep the same hub then you won't need to worry about setting anything up again, If you receive a new hub then you will need to re-pair the DV phone but you can change the SSID  of the new hub to that of the old one in order to avoid changing the settings on your devices

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
thank you yes keeping the same hub, smart hub 2 , so plug and play. Thank you for your time
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I was that contractor, was ok really, managed to get a very thin flat cat 6 , took me about 2-3 hours to complete and i actually enjoyed it 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I think@pippincp  meant the fibre engineer first time around. 🙂

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
haha yer probably my bad 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice @leeea12345  Yes I meant for the original Fibre install.

0 Ratings