cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Motorola g84 5G, no 5G on BT

I got a Motorola g84 5G but it doesn't connect on 5G. It's the only 5G phone I have.

On the coverage checker BT says "You'll get great coverage outdoors and good coverage indoors on your Motorola Moto G84." I live in St Albans and my area is fully covered by "5G Outdoor and indoor".

But I never had any 5G, it's always 4G, not even when in London.

I called tech support twice within 2 months. First time they sent me a new SIM for the 5G phone (I have 2 SIMs on an family plan for years). Second time they told me the local mast is temporarily down / rolling out / and why do I need 5G anyway (really?!).

Moto g84 5G is on Android 14, does not have the "Preferred Network Type" setting (5G/4G/3G/2G). But I also tried the hidden menu *#*#4636#*#* - and managed to select the network types there (NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA etc). But still, the best I could get is only 4G.

BT says they don't know what's the problem and can't help anymore. I have already ordered Three, O2 and Vodafone test SIMs.

Any advice before I give up on BT Mobile?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Motorola g84 5G, no 5G on BT

In your account go to Products, Mobile and then select your mobile. What does it say under “Your plan”?
Does it say something like “BT Mobile ?GB SIM Only 4G Plan? Which means you won’t get 5G unless you re contract.

Message 3 of 14

It says "BT Mobile 5GB plan with Family SIM(s)". During the first tech support call they said it is 5G enabled.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

What about the other SIMs do they get 5G?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

No, I only have a 5G phone and a 4G one.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Could you try the other SIM in your phone to see if that gives you 5G reception?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

I did, it's still 4G. Which is even worse than on my 4G phone which was 4G+...
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

It sounds like you’re on a 4G package. Are you in a fixed term contract or on a rolling monthly contract. You could phone the mobile section and see what they offer.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

But as I said I called them already and they say it's 5G...

Today I got the test SIM from 3 and it connected to 5G straight away.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

I had today one more call. This time they said that the old plan isn't 5G capable. They're phasing out BT Mobile, and I would have to get a new EE contract, it's the only way to change it.

I'm done.

0 Ratings