cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Broadband 500 contract gone up.

I signed up to BT Broadband almost two years ago BT 500 and it was around £55 per month.

They have sneakily put the price up to over £65 per month. I noticed it a few months ago, I'm still in my contract and they won't let me cancel early due to the price hike or reduce my service to lower the price. The new contact offer on the website is now £30.99 a month!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I never knew once you was locked in to a contract the supplier could change the contract but we have no power to change it ourselves or cancel? I feel like they are taking the **bleep**. 

If anyone has experienced this please let me know. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Broadband 500 contract gone up.

Like the rest of us, you agreed to inflation busting price increases when you signed up. The huge increase in inflation  has pushed that much higher than any of us were anticipating.

if your contract is coming up for renewal I’m surprised they haven’t tried to get you signed up again. But if they won’t make you a decent offer all you can do is look at other ISPs.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

When does your contract end?

Sadly most contracts have an inbuilt yearly CPI increase.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi James

November this year luckily I will be leaving BT. 

To pay £65 a month for a internet package that is now on offer to new customers at £30.99 (in todays climate) is really hard to swallow. 

Message 5 of 7

@danm2022wrote:

Hi James

November this year luckily I will be leaving BT. 

To pay £65 a month for a internet package that is now on offer to new customers at £30.99 (in todays climate) is really hard to swallow. 

Offers can change at any time, you got the offer that was available at the time. Interesting though if your contract ends in November you'll be in the recontracting window so it may be worth calling again & seeing what they can do

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Presumably when you signed up the price was acceptable, and the increases are part of the T&C’s ( so your current price shouldn’t be a surprise to you )

As someone comes to the end of a minimum  term , they are in quite a strong position , they could ‘negotiate’ and chances are you would get a price similar to that offered to new customers, or they could leave for someone else, it’s always a shock to realise that someone is getting the same products or service much cheaper , but it’s the same as if you bought a TV ( and we’re happy with the price ) and a few months later noticed the same TV at the same retailer was for sale,  hundreds of £££ cheaper.

What no ISP does , is sign up a customer , and guarantee that during the minimum term the monthly price will fall , if the offer to a new customer is less than what you pay,  if an ISP say £60 a month , but reduced to £30 for the first 24 months (£60 after that ) it’s  to encourage signing up to another minimum term at the end of the first one, but the £30 isn’t fixed , it’s subject to the inflation based increase.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @danm2022

Fair enough. Agreed on the new customer price.

I messaged you what a family friend did when it came to their Broadband price.

0 Ratings