cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

By broadband activation

An engineer came to fit out broadband yesterday. He said normally he wouldn’t leave without it working but they won’t activate it until he’s closed the job and he’s never had that before. He called an hour later to say it is activated now and shows on his test that it is working, my router has been orange since yesterday morning. I saw I should leave it until midnight but it is now the next day and still orange. I have had a text saying it is activated and have been given a date for billing yet still no WiFi. Been in this house since August now trying to get WiFi and I am fuming.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT broadband activation

@tonahkai 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

You need to report it to BT, as Openreach always keep a task open just for cases like yours, which are classed as Early Life Failures.

Provided you tell BT today, Openreach can assign that task for a visit within two working days, otherwise it will be closed and it will be assumed that your service is working.

You must check to make sure you have connected up correctly, especially if Openreach have said its working.

Message 3 of 20

@tonahkai 

There are a few checks you can make yourself.

What type of broadband connection do you have, a direct fibre optical connection, or does your BT Smart Hub 2 just plug into a phone socket on the wall?

If its optical, then there will be an extra unit with lights on it. What lights are lit?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Re: By broadband activation

That’s this KCI2 Assure or whatever it’s called.

I remember BT trialing it before I left as a CSE.

Of course we were never told about it, I had to figure it out for myself on the job and clearly they still aren’t telling Openreach Engineers about it.

It’s a pain for them because if the KCI thing fails it gets reported as fault, aka Early Life Failure, which they penalise then Engineer for.

Message 5 of 20

Thank you, I didn't set it up, the Openreach engineer did. I will have to call them yet again then I guess.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

It just plugs into a socket on the wall. I have turned it off and on, restarted etc.

Thank you
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

So its not an optical fibre connection, and you just have the BT Smart Hub 2, and nothing else?

smart hub 2 vdsl.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Yeah, it's a double master socket, everything seems to be plugged into the right places. I just have the BT Hub Smart 2 and nothing else.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Then the Openreach Field Technician should not have closed the job if it was not working when they left.

This should be dealt with as an Early Life Failure. I cannot see how BT could have said it was active.

Ring BT now as ask them to sort it out.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

If it's orange rather than purple, the service hasn't been activated correctly. A physical connection problem would give a purple light.