cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Called 150 - Downgrade package

I've been with BT for a years, I moved house in December 2021 which automatically put me on another 2 year contract.

I'm currently paying £69.94 for Fibre Halo 3 Full Wifi Package.

I called BT on 150 number and asked that even though I was still in contract, could I downgrade as I'm struggling with the cost of living crisis to pay that now for my Broadband.

I was advised by the agent on the phone, they couldn't see any offers for me on her screen as I was still in contract and the 500 package was still expensive.

I advised that there current deal on Full Fibre 500 was

6 Months half price at £22.99
Then £45.99 after

The agent said she couldn't do anything for me, as she could see the offers 😞

Would anyone have any advice for someone struggling because up to now, BT have been no help 😞

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Called 150 - Downgrade package

So you're less than halfway through a contract then based on info posted, that means no offers would usually be available for you particularly a new customer one as you've still got a year left on your contract

Message 3 of 9

Yes that what they told me, I asked for suggestions. Not to repeat what the agent said 😂😂😂 Sorry.

I've been with BT since 2016, I've a new contract, but I'm not a new customer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Message 5 of 9

Moving house does not automatically put you on a new contract for broadband unless you change the package that you were on. A new 12 month contract does apply for telephone.  See link

Moving home with BT | BT Help

You have been advised by both the BT customer service rep and garybs29 and the reason the information was repeated was because there is nothing that you can do to downgrade without cost.

It does not matter how long you have been with BT, you are in a contract and if you want to "downgrade" you will have to break the contract you are in, which will incur cancelations fees. After doing that you could take out a new cheaper contract or move to another provider.

It may be possible that a new provider would pay your cancelation fees but given you have a year to run on the BT contract it is fairly unlikely that will happen but without asking the new provider you will never know.

Message 6 of 9

Thanks for that, so the person I was dealing with when I moved house, should of continued my package? I was told on the phone, I had to start a new contract. 

Why would I be advised I had to start a new one? Someone making sales quotas?

My contact would have finished if it was continued 😭😭😭 

Thanks for both your help. If I sound off, it's just that I'm frustrated at BT, not anyone personally. Sorry.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@SavagelyCalm wrote:

Thanks for that, so the person I was dealing with when I moved house, should of continued my package? I was told on the phone, I had to start a new contract. I do not speak for BT so you would need to contact BT regarding that. There may have been a reason but without knowing all the details it is not possible to speculate.

Why would I be advised I had to start a new one? Someone making sales quotas? As per the above.

My contact would have finished if it was continued 😭😭😭 

Thanks for both your help. If I sound off, it's just that I'm frustrated at BT, not anyone personally.

Message 8 of 9

@SavagelyCalmwrote:

Thanks for that, so the person I was dealing with when I moved house, should of continued my package? I was told on the phone, I had to start a new contract. 

Why would I be advised I had to start a new one? Someone making sales quotas?

It depends on the journey and what you had at your old address Vs new, if you have a different package or different technology (FTTC Vs FTTP for example) then any change of package is a new minimum term.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

No all the same, Same Service and Same price 😞

FTTP 900 to FTTP 900.  An advisor told me on the phone they offer the new contract due possible variance in speed across new homes. I didn't want a new contract though and was told I had too. I've currently wrote Customer-Resolution an email about it.