cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Cancel BT Contract - my Father moved into a Care Home

Go to solution

Hello, I hope you can help me here, please.

I  am Lasting Power of Attorney for Property & Financial Affairs for my 96-year-old father, John C, and I have been managing his BT Account (as well as his banking and all his bills) since 2018.  On 30 March 2023 I renewed his BT Contract onto a new 24 month contract.  Sadly, during April, his health has unexpectedly deteriorated to the point where I had no choice but to move him into a Care Home on 4 May 2023, so that he can have 24-hour care and support.

He had been living independently, so his previous flat is now unoccupied, and in his Care Home he has no need of either landline or broadband services.  So I now need to cancel his BT account ASAP.  This is especially urgent, since his monthly Care Home fees are financially crippling.

I phoned BT on 0800800150 today, but the agent I spoke to simply said there is a (substantial) termination charge to pay. So I have come here instead, to see if I can find the help I need.

I've been able to cancel my father's Council Tax, Electricity, etc, with immediate effect, and with no termination charges.  My father has been a loyal BT customer for many years, so I'm asking if it can be possible in these circumstances - perhaps on compassionate grounds - for BT to waive this termination fee?

Please advise if this is possible, and if so how I can go about cancelling.  The next monthly BT bill is due very soon, on 18 June, so I'd like to get this sorted before then if possible.

Thank you in advance for you understanding and assistance in these difficult times.

Jeremy C.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cancel BT Contract - my Father moved into a Care Home

Go to solution

Hi @jandjcooper5

Welcome and thanks for your post!

I am sorry to read about your Dad's poor health.  I can imagine it was a difficult decision to move him into a care home but that should provide some peace of mind that he is getting 24/7 support.  Cancellation charges apply the majority of time if the service is cancelled whilst in contract.  However, given these circumstances, we would not charge an early termination fee.

We are a small team so it'll take us a few days to get back to you so it may not be sorted by 18th but we'll get there.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Strictly speaking the advisor was correct, but that doesn't seem reasonable under the circumstances.

I will alert the mods to your problem, they will post on this thread for further information via PM, hopefully they can assist.

Edit: Well done @RobbieMac  you have added mind reading to your many talents.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I have asked the forum mods who are BT employees to see if the can help. They will post here

If DD due18tn then doubt  there is enough time to stop

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @jandjcooper5

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me this afternoon.

That's the cancellation and all arranged.  I have sent you a message privately will more info on what we talked about.  I'll close this off as agreed but if you should need anything in future feel free to come back on as you're more than welcome.

Take care.

Robbie