cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Contract. The default answer . Blood from stone.

Go to solution

Hi.

I have a really big problem with BT and a contract. It’s a bit of a story, that BT won’t even listen to.

My daughter has mental problems, cognitive problems to be a little more precise. Her thinking is that of a 12 to 14 year old. I have all her life managed her money affairs and stuff like that. She doesn’t understand contracts, buy now pay later and stuff like that. If she wants something and there’s a way to get it she will, without thinking how paying for the next thing can happen. I had taught her you only have what you can pay for. Life went on quite successfully like that for many years. She got a good job at a vets, passed her driving test. She was doing pretty great and I was very happy for her. Yes there were many bumps on the way, but it was  ok.

A couple of years ago she fell in with the wrong guy. Very quickly my daughter removed me from her life as the new boyfriend was god to her, and I was the devil. Plus I treated her like a child and she can make her own decisions.I’m sure many of you have been there. She moved out, rented a flat with the boyfriend. I won’t go into his details, but let’s just say he sold drugs for a living. Small time.

Over time they moved 4 times, hitting me up for deposits, moving costs etc. You get the point I’m trying to make here I hope.
Her boyfriend with no legal income, used my daughter as his link to finance and stuff like that. She knew no better and obliged. After all he is god to her and he knew it. I’m cutting a lot of the story here to get to BT.

She setup a BT sports Internet package. On a two year contract. This was for her boyfriend. Boyfriend is now gone thank god. But has left her with massive debts, which by in large I have paid. The debts I have paid are for goods she has in hand, clothes, washing machines, physical stuff.

The BT contract:  I managed to get BT to remove the sports package eventually, getting my daughters bill down to £39.99 a month. I contacted BT then to say she has 100gbs internet, when all she needs is bog stranded broadband. She’s under contract was there answer. Ok, I thought, here I go again paying for her mistakes. Well then the price rises hit, the bill now £47.95 a month, for something she doesn’t need. I have spoke to BT endless time, going in a circle of unhelpfulness, as the contract is stamped with gods hand and cannot be questioned. Yes they have cheaper tariffs, but not if you are under CONtract, no matter what your position is.

What  I have told you here, is the short version of what is going on. BT won’t even entertain hearing an explanation of why I want a lower price or no service at all, they want money. Blood from a stone, when there is no blood from the stone , crush it seems to be their policy. 

I thank you for your time if you have read this. That’s  more than BT has done.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Contract. The default answer . Blood from stone.

Go to solution

@bigballs5 

Have you read the complaints procedure here? 

Might be worthwhile having a read & raising a complaint. They do take them seriously.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Tim

Yes I have about 3 complaints running as we speak. But the problem is, they are not interested in what I have written above. I cant just tell them or write to them what I have said above. Believe me I have tried multiple times. Case and example from yesterday. I did speak to a young lady about roughly the above, she transferred my call to her sales team to see if they can help..... No, its a CONtract, cant help unless I pay up.

Its not a complaint I want to make, its common sense and a soul im trying to find.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@bigballs5 

Is the BT contract in your daughter's name?  If so does she qualify here which would enable her to move to a cheaper contract 

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Obviously I don't know the full circumstances but if it's of any use you can find a worked example of how BT calculate cancellation fees at Leaving BT | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Hi, no she doesn't qualify, She earns £12 over the threshold for benefits. Thanks for looking and replying.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Yes £375 they would like. For basically nothing, but greed.  Thanks for replying.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Cheers will try that one.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
Done thanks
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Unfortunately the thing that you have to keep in mind is that BT are not the the villain in this case. They did not force the contract upon your daughter and are not responsible for her circumstance regarding the exboyfriend etc so they are within their rights to expect that the contract is fulfilled, however I think that they should have given her/you a fair hearing to see if there is anything that can be done to place her onto a cheaper package.

With that in mind I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.