cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 32

Do BT downgrade fibre speeds if you move to BT essentials package?

Go to solution

Hi,

I currently have BT Halo 1 fibre package with average speeds of 67mbps. My contract is due to end soon and in theory I can apply for the BT essentials billing. 

Having had a look through the info it says I can expect a minimum of 46mbps on the essentials tariff, I couldn't see an average speed given. My current minimum speed stated for Halo 1 is 60mbps.

My question is essentially by moving to a social tariff, and therefore cheaper, will my speeds be throttled/compromised or can I expect the same speeds and service as I currently achieve?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: Do BT downgrade fibre speeds if you move to BT essentials package?

Go to solution

@slinkymalinki wrote:

My question is essentially by moving to a social tariff, and therefore cheaper, will my speeds be throttled/compromised or can I expect the same speeds and service as I currently achieve?

Thanks!

No they do not throttle and Yes you will get the same speed.

See links and in particular 

Home Essentials – Unlimited
Fibre plan
Fibre broadband with
average speeds of 67Mbps.
Ideal for browsing the
internet, gaming, and
streaming TV.
• Unlimited minutes a month
talk time to all UK landlines
and mobiles.
• Costs £20 a month.

Home Essentials from BT

BT Home Essentials Broadband | Universal Credit Broadband

Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

You can look at essential packages here but speed for fibre packages same as whether essential or not 

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

Hmm, this is intresting. And also is with you specifically mentioning a minimum speed of 46.

I have my own recent forum thread regarding this. 

Because in theory no, the Home Essentials packages as advertised do not lower the speed. But we've just recently switched over to it at the start of this month, and even though for us it personally advertised it as 66-73mbps speed (guarantee of 60), my mother was actually told over the phone it would be 49-50 (with a minimum of 46) and because she didn't know any better, that's what we was put on.

Until I then knew that wasn't correct, so I got it changed to what it should actually be. 

So from the fact you know you can get speeds in the 60's, then I'd say just be cautious that there's a chance you may actually be put on the wrong lower speed like we was. (iv also seen another thread with someone else having had the same thing happen to them.)

So if you order over the phone, and they say you'l only get a minimum of 49, then challenge them on it. Or if you order online and end up getting a minimum speed of 49, then you'l have to contact them to try and get it increased like I did. 

The only thing they might use to deny you is from the fact you've said they've actually advertised it for you at a minimum of 49, so they might stick by that. Although of course you could argue that you are actually capable of a higher speed though. 

Even though we got put on a speed of 50, it was advertised as 66-73 for us personally, so it certainly couldn't be denied in that respect.

So seeing as iv seen this situation occuring with being put on a lower speed, I dunno if it's sometimes a genuine system error, or how often it happens, or if it is BT purposely doing it.

But yeah, it's a great deal, but just keep your eye out to make sure you get the package that you're supposed to get.

Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

There are two Home Essential packages as per the link I previously posted 

Home Essentials from BT

One at £15 a month with average speeds of 36mbps and another package at £20 a month with average speeds of 67mbps.

When it states average speeds it means just that. It is an average so some people will have faster and some slower depending on what your line can support.

Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

There are two Home Essential packages as per the link I previously posted 

Home Essentials from BT

One at £15 a month with average speeds of 36mbps and another package at £20 a month with average speeds of 67mbps.

When it states average speeds it means just that. It is an average so some people will have faster and some slower depending on what your line can support.

^ This ^
£15 is provisioned with the 40/10 SLT - upto 40 down and 10 up
£20 is provisioned with the 80/20 SLT - upto 80 down and 20 up

Phone services remain the same regardless.

Message 7 of 32

Go to solution
Thank you, that's a very interesting response. I'll certainly query it before changing any plans.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution
Thank you, I was talking about the faster plan. I just wondered if you were somehow given a poorer guaranteed speed (essentials 46mbps - Halo 60mbps) because you were paying less. I'd rather make cut backs elsewhere if that was the case.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

@slinkymalinki 

you will get the same speed that your line can handle regardless whether you are on essentials or standard fibre package - there is no reduction for essentials

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution
I'm just interested if BT offer a lower guaranteed speed (46mbps as opposed to my current 60mbps) because it's a social tariff?
0 Ratings