cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 32

Re: Do BT downgrade fibre speeds if you move to BT essentials package?

Go to solution

Don't get hung up about guaranteed speeds, they are just estimates. As you have been told multiple times, you will get whatever speed your line is capable of up to the 2 price caps, 40 or 80

Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

@slinkymalinki wrote:
I'm just interested if BT offer a lower guaranteed speed (46mbps as opposed to my current 60mbps) because it's a social tariff?

No! It is the average speed for lines in your area. It is not specific for your line. As has been pointed out you will get what you have now. The only change to your package is an administrative  billing issue not a change of line, speed or equipment.

Message 13 of 32

Go to solution
I do understand exactly what you are saying, was just seeking clarification on the guarantees given. Seems quite a difference and as said above I'd rather cut back on other areas if the service is not as good as regular tariffs.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

Have you ever needed the guarantee before now? If there is a fault with your line BT will fix it regardless of the "guarantee".

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution
Yes, I've had multiple problems with speed drop outs. The guarantee has definitely helped get solutions, especially when we have 2 home workers.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

And how exactly did the minimum speed guarantee help. Did BT only fix the fault once the speed had dropped below your guaranteed speed for 30 days or did they fix it before then as they would in any event?

"If your speeds aren't back to normal after 30 days, we'll give you £20 back. You can also choose to exit your contract without paying a charge for cancelling it early".

What is BT's Stay Fast Guarantee? | BT Help

Message 17 of 32

Go to solution
We went through the ombudsman in the end. Our speeds did not match the guarantee.

I think you are missing the point slightly on what I'm asking. I understand what you are saying - the line speed will be whatever it has been. Yes.
However, I want to guarantee that I will continue to get 60+ mbps. If I take the essentials package I am only guaranteed 46mbps and I don't want that. I would rather pay extra for a guaranteed higher speed. In this case it appears you get what you pay for. Someone who has already moved to this tariff and understood my query answered my question which was what I long suspected.

Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

Do a check to see what you would get as a guaranteed minimum speed if you were to take out a new "normal" package. You may find that it will be the same as what you have been quoted with the Essentials package.

Make sure you are comparing like for like as per the packages shown in message 6.

In any event, I'm sure you will do what you think is best for you.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

You are missing the point, your 'guaranteed' speed will be exactly the same whatever package you take up. It is only changing because you are changing package, it doesn't matter what that package is it will be the same. It is not a question of 'getting what you pay for'

BTW, the only things in life that are guaranteed are death and taxes.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

So tell me why do they even bother advertising it then? Marketing ploy?

You are wrong, there are many certainties in life. It's a shame that you focus solely on the negatives.

0 Ratings