cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Elderly in-laws missold expensive broadband package

Have just learnt today that my elderly in-laws have been missold an excessive and very expensive broadband package that they really don't need.

Unfortunately they've been paying this for over a year and as they're past their cooling off period I cannot cancel it for them.

The salesman told them they needed this package but was clearly taking advantage of their lack of knowledge and understanding on the issue. They lived in a small bungalow at the time and did not need extra boosters and so on to get strong enough WiFi signal. 

Is there anything else I can do before going to trading standards or some sort of ombudsman? No success when speaking to customer services.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Elderly in-laws missold expensive broadband package

The sad reality is sales people sell things to people, alot of the time with the incentive to shift more products.

Whether the in-laws needed the additional products or not due to their property and WIFI coverage unless the sales person was a bully or lied or was manipulative I dont see there is that much wrong from a policy or even law point of view.

I expect the person was there at their desk and told to try and upsale BT Complete WIFI along with packages broadband and any other extra. Just for through an order online and see all the pages you have to 'skip' just to order what you want.

Im not defending the culture of this because my dad was also paying silly money to BT and I have no idea how his bills got so high considering what he was getting but he does things on the phone and im sure who ever it was selling things to him was leaning on him.

Even buying a TV, youll get offered a sound bar, or someone will try sell you a very expensive cable you dont need, I got told once to buy a 80 quid cable just because the TV was nice it needed a nice cable.

I just think unless the sales person was in breach of BT's policy there isnt much you can do, BT's policy will be pretty robust, if its been over a year then I assume they should be within their last year of their contract, do what my wife does and take ownership of it, its not much fun but you can protect them in the future. Some ISP's offer a buy out, you could try find one that does that so you can leave early? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)