cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 22

Re: FTTP Upgrade query - mod able to make offer?

Go to solution
Just want to add a thanks to @imjolly for making me aware of this price rise side-step and to mod @DavidM for taking the time to clarify this for me.
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 22

Re: FTTP Upgrade query - mod able to make offer?

Go to solution

I’m having second thoughts on my new 900Mb package. I understand that there is a cooling off period if I wanted to change my mind. Is this correct?

I mainly went for it due to the imminent price rise, if paying extra I figured I may as well upgrade from 500 to 900Mb. However, since then I have seen a few customers post around here that they just got BT to re-contact them on their existing deal and lock their existing price in with a new contract. I’m now thinking maybe that may have been a better option for me.

Anyway, before I go exploring the cooling off period and reverting back to 500Mb, I wanted to share my limited experience on the 900Mb package after a day. Perhaps someone might have suggestions for how to get the most out of this speed.

My main key areas of concern is that Xbox speeds are not upto snuff compared to PS5, both these consoles are wired. I am also concerned that I am not getting great speeds with Wifi devices like laptops and iPhones, using 5Ghz.

If I am not mistaken I believe mobile devices on the 5Ghz network should go upto 1000Mb? Not particularly tech savvy regarding this, but don’t feel like there’s a big step-up from my previous 500Mb to new 900Mb package right now. I am seeing 450-550Mb on mobile speed tests in the same room as the BT SH2.

Using my wired Xbox Series X console Edge web browser I checked fast .com which reported 1Gb download speed, and Speedtest .net which showed 821Mb.

The main underwhelming aspect for me is on Xbox Series X where I have a Game Pass Ultimate subscription to download many games. Not likely a fault of BT here, but speeds on Xbox vary dramatically for downloading games, regardless of what the speed testing websites indicate.

Using a stopwatch on my phone and checking against download-time .com, I was able to download COD Warzone 2 at 750Mb. The same game downloading on PS5 averaged 836Mb.

Then later the same day I downloaded Batman Arkham Knight on Xbox Series X, then afterwards also downloaded it on PS5. Both consoles are wired. 

My finding is that Xbox is way too variable with downloads. The previous COD  Warzone 2 test wasn’t a wide download margin between the two platforms. This Batman Arkham Knight test however is a different story! PS5 45.144GB at avg 826Mb completed in 7min 49s, whereas Xbox 47.12GB at avg 402Mb completed in 16min 46s. I often noticed with Xbox downloads that the speed displayed is highly variable and sometimes stops entirely going to 0Mb, before kicking back up again.

0 Ratings