cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Internet set up

I've recently moved into my own flat and have been looking at setting up internet.

I've been on the BT website and seen a package I like, however it states on there just prior to checking out that: "During your appointment, the engineer will need to enter your home and install a box on the wall near your existing phone socket."

The flat is rented, I can't have anything installed onto the walls or I will be liable for the repairs. Are there any other options? I previously lived in a house share and the router there was just plugged directly into the open reach MK4 box on the wall. In my new flat I have the same box. 

Every internet package I look at says the same thing about installing a box on the wall. Surely there are other options?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Internet set up

@Raanberry 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Nearly all new provisions are optical fibre only.

This is how its installed https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I categorically cannot have anything installed on the wall in the flat, it would be against my tenancy agreement. Are there any packages that don't include fibre?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

The router is free standing but FTTP also requires an ONT (a modem), that's what's fixed to the wall and it needs to be in a fixed stationary position in order to prevent the fibre from being damaged by constant movement.

Have a word with your landlord.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

The ONT is only slightly bigger than the existing copper socket. Can't see what objection your landlord could possibly have. Letting the property in the future without a fibre broadband connection would be pretty impossible.

Message 6 of 8

Your landlord will have to accept that sooner or later there is going to have to be an ONT installed on his wall.

Even if you cannot have one put in, then one of his future tenants will have to have one put in down the line, otherwise there is the prospect of his them having to rely on mobile broadband instead, and therefore making his property less desirable.

Better to have it over with now.

It's no more intrusive than a master or aerial socket is.

He might even be able to take advantage of having an ONT in his properties by advertising something like "Full Fibre ready!" That will be attractive to any future tenants!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Incidentally I've just messaged the landlord and he's fine with it, providing the install is clean, which he states the engineer will absolutely do. However from what I've read, it states they'll need to drill a hole in the wall outside the flat? This isn't something I imagine he'd consent to. He's fine with the modem inside but drilling through the brick outside... not sure he's too keen. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Yes there will have to be a hole drilled somewhere for the fibre cable to go into the ONT. I think this can be done very neatly too if asked. Just make sure to voice all your concerns with the engineer when he or she turns up.

"A much smaller cable will be run through the wall and attached to another box on the inside of your property. This internal box, called an ONT, will be around 13cm x 11cm.

Just a heads up, we'll need to drill a hole through the wall to enable us to connect the two boxes. If you're renting the property please make sure you get your landlord's permission for us to drill a hole. This will be 12mm wide and you can tell the engineer where you'd like them to drill."