cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Moved from Fibre 1 to Fibre 2... but no difference

Go to solution

I've been with BT for years.

I used to get about 67-70 Mbps for years also, with the exact same set-up.

For about a year now, I've been capped at 50 Mbps. On checking, I had somehow been moved to Fibre 1 from whatever it might have been called in the past.

In the past week I've renewed my contract with BT and have moved to Fibre 2. But the speed is still capped at 50 Mbps.

I'm on a live chat and I have asked the agent to remove the 50 Mbps speed cap and to explain what the difference is between Fibre 1 and Fibre 2. He posted two identical lists:

Fibre 1
This package gives you:
An estimated download speed of between 45-50 Mbps
An estimated upload speed of between 16-18 Mbps
This package includes:
Stay Fast Guarantee
Unlimited monthly broadband usage
UK and Ireland call centres - you will always speak to one of our team based in the UK & Ireland when you call us

Fibre 2
MonthlyThis package gives you:
An estimated download speed of between 45-50 Mbps
An estimated upload speed of between 16-18 Mbps
This package includes:
Stay Fast Guarantee
Unlimited monthly broadband usage
UK and Ireland call centres - you will always speak to one of our team based in the UK & Ireland when you call us

The difference is of line stabilty. Fibre 2 is much more stable that Fibre 1 but if you want the best stablity Fibre Halo 3+ is the best choice for you.

Now he's giving me a sales pitch for Fibre Halo 3+

All I'm asking for is to remove the cap and to give me the line speed I had had for years.

Just wondering if this is something I'm ever likely to achieve, or if it's flogging a dead horse.

Many thanks for any advice.

BT line.png

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Moved from Fibre 1 to Fibre 2... but no difference

Go to solution

can you post hub stats  go to hub manager then advanced settings then technical log information and post the page of connection stats please

have you check line for noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone - does not work if you have digital voice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

The dsl checker result looks really weird, as if your upload is Fibre2 but download capped at fibre 1

As @imjolly  says, your hub stats will make things clearer.

Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

I'm afraid that as is all too often, you have been dealing with an agent who is either incompetent or dishonest. There is absolutely no difference between Fibre 1 & Fibre 2 apart from the speed. A Fibre 1 package is capped at 10mb upload so the speed quoted is also incorrect. To state that Fibre 2 it's much more reliable is a simple lie.

Halo+ gives no more line stability either, it simply provides a 4G backup if the connection drops. That's if you have decent 4G coverage & are prepared to pay the significant premium.

If you post the stats that @imjolly requested that should show if you have a Fibre 1 profile.

For the record, I had exactly the same issue & a Moderator sorted it for me.

Edit: Just to add that it's possible that your line's download speed has decreased due to crosstalk with other customers who have joined the cabinet since your original speeds.

Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

@rbz5416  If you look at the max observed speed on the screenshot, 55M download and 20M upload looks very much like a misconfiguration.

Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

@Bungaroosh Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems with your broadband speed. It's possible you have been set up on the wrong profile, I'll send you a private message so you can send over your details to the moderation team and we'll be happy to get this looked into.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

Many thanks for the responses. I've replied to Neil's private message.

But just to answer some of the queries:

The line has no noise -- about three or four years ago a very diligent Openreach engineer spent hours replacing the line all the way back to the cabinet (quite a distance away -200+ metres). He said he was amazed I had a functioning phone and internet given what he had found. Since then it's been very stable.

I have a rather ancient Openreach DSL modem(? -- a white box) and a BT Home Hub 3.0. They both work perfectly however, and I have no reason or desire to replace them and create yet more electronic junk. But ... while I can log in to it (I have somehow remembered the admin password), I cannot find how to to get meaningful hub stats from it as others have posted in their threads (data rate etc.)

[I have just read on another thread that: there are no stats of any type shown on the hub3 when used on infinity as they are held on the modem which is locked by Openreach]

I've a feeling that the discrepancy with the down/up speeds is this: some years ago I got fed up with paying through the nose for BT and was about to jump ship to Sky. A BT retention agent was able to fiddle with whatever goes on at the back-end to get a reasonable price, so I stayed with BT. When I was dealing with technical people prior to the Openreach engineer coming out to fix the noisy line, I seem to remember a tech agent on the phone commenting on something being a bit odd about the billing/tarif/package set-up.

But just to reiterate, all I'm after is the same thing that I've had with BT for about ten years at the same property with the same equipment. Fingers crossed! And to confirm that I'm now on Fibre 2 after being on Fibre 1 until last week (I don't know when I was originally put on to Fibre 1, but the download speed dropped from ~70 to 50 maybe about 4-6 months ago).

And thank you so much to the dedicated and knowledgeable volunteers and moderators who know far more than the official BT online chat "help" agents.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@rbz5416wrote:

There is absolutely no difference between Fibre 1 & Fibre 2 apart from the speed.

Cloud storage and Netprotect licenses differ between the 2 packages, 200GB Vs 1000GB cloud and 2 licenese Vs 15 licenses.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

@-Richie-wrote:

Cloud storage and Netprotect licenses differ between the 2 packages, 200GB Vs 1000GB cloud and 2 licenese Vs 15 licenses.

Pedant points accepted, but I was clearly posting in terms of the agent's claims that Fibre 2 is more reliable.

Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

@rbz5416wrote:

Pedant points accepted, but I was clearly posting in terms of the agent's claims that Fibre 2 is more reliable.

Yeah I know man, I was just teasing and you are right about the reliability claim 🙂