cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Moving from BT residential broadband to BT Business

Go to solution

Hello,

I currently have BT residential broadband (in contract, not full fibre) and I would like to move over to BT Business Broadband because I run my own business. I contacted BT Business who said that because I don’t have a landline number, I would need to have a second phone line installed – they would then be able to transfer my service from residential.

The problem is that I don’t want another line installed as it would mean drilling yet another hole into the wall. Also, I assume it would require Openreach to bring over a new line from the pole on the opposite side of the road to my house. Seems crazy as the residential line would be redundant after the service has transferred.

The only way I can see around this is if my residential broadband is ceased, then I order BT Business Broadband. This would mean BT residential would have to release me from my contract early.

I can imagine trying to explain this to a call centre agent on the residential side will be challenging to say the least. So I wondered if one of the mods on here could help me out here.

Thanks  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving from BT residential broadband to BT Business

Go to solution

@Fibrejay 

I have asked a moderator to provide advice here.

The problem is that BT Business and BT Residential are totally different departments and operate independently. In theory its a re-grade, with the voice part of the connection provided by Cloud Voice with associated IP phones provided.

If you were out of contract it would be easier, as it would be a cease and re-provide.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Fibrejay, thanks for your post. I've checked and the transfer would need to be arranged by the res to bus conversion team, 0800 800 152 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, probably the team you've already spoken with.
Customers who convert their Residential account to a Business account are entitled to have the Early Termination Charges refunded, providing they've had their Business service for more than 14 days. So once your business account is active over 14 days you can request a refund of the termination charges for the residential service.

Cheers 
John

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @JohnC2 ,

Thanks for your reply. Yes that was the team I spoke with.

So to avoid having a second line installed as per my comments above, I would need to contact BT residential broadband to cancel the service, then I order BT Business Broadband. When the BT Business Broadband has been active for more than 14 days, contact residential to have the early termination charges refunded?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Fibrejay, that's it exactly. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks @JohnC2 and @Keith_Beddoe for your replies.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Fibrejay 

I guessed that @JohnC2 would have the answer 🙂

0 Ratings