cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

My account appears to have 2 addresses

When I look at my BT account I can see everything that I expect to see although nowhere do I see my actual address unless I look at a copy of a bill. That shows my true address.

When any goods like routers etc. are sent to me they are sent to an address that is like mine but not accurate. It has caused a massive problem recently that took BT and OpenReach ages to fix it.

My question is how do i find where these two addresse are stored and how do I get back to a situation where only the correct one is ever used?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: My account appears to have 2 addresses

I have also been having this problem and as yet have not been able to sort it. I tried amending and the BT site would not allow me to.

Contacted BT who after a number of weeks have been able to correct and subsequently told me it was the way Royal Mail had my address set up and that I would need to contact them to get it corrected.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Sorry message should have read BT had been unable to correct and I need to contact Royal Mail.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I cannot think why it would be a Royal Mail problem, mine certainly is not. BT have two addresses for me, the one my bills are addressed to and the one they use to send goods to me.

I live on a piece of land with a croft number with two other houses which has crept in to all of our addresses. One of my addresses has just the croft number, no name , so when someone moved into another of the houses and wanted phone services guess which line BT took? Yep, mine!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

BT say according to Royal Mail my address is a throughfare  even though it is a cul de sac.  As such they declare my address is the road which leads to my cul de sac. This road however has a house with the same number.

I am not sure I am being given correct information because it doesn’t make sense to me but all I can do is contact Royal Mail and see what they say.

To date according to the BT website under My Profile I am not the Account holder on my account this other address is. Although BT are happy to say they have the correct address to send my bills to and take my money.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi @ajubb17 and @Greensg are your billing address's corrected showing on the Royal Mail website? Postcode Finder - Find an address | Royal Mail Group Ltd
If so I expect the other address that is incorrect may be your installation address which you can't change online but we can help you with that.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Thank you for your response John.

As far as I can tell my address is correct with Royal Mail. If I put the postcode in it comes up with both my address and the one BT has as the Account holder for me under my profile. For some reason Royal Mail seem to insist on using two road names in my address, the cul de sac road name and the road you turn off into it. (There is no other instances of this where I live, Royal Mail only uses the cul de sac road name, not the road it comes off of).

The Executive Complaints at BT have been looking at this problem and told me it is an issue with Royal Mail and they are unable to correct the error.

As I have been with BT for the 47 years I have lived at this address I don’t why there is suddenly a problem.  Following this issue I checked the BT phone book and up until the 2021/22 book, the address entry was correct and so I decided to check the most recent book I had 2022/23 and suddenly my address entry had changed to this other address, I don’t know why.

I know this other address has recently requested Full Fibre with BT because it caused my phone line to be disconnected for 2weeks and my Broadband had to go off because OPENREACH had me on the incorrect address and they had to correct it.

Previously I wasn’t aware of a problem but perhaps it only came to light when the other customer put in their BT order.

I am not sure whether you are able to help me since Executive Complaints haven’t been able to but it would be greatly appreciated if you could.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Greensg, I would have to agree in your situation that Royal Mail must first update their address record and I'm sure the executive team would've resolved this for you if it was possible.

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

1 will try Royal Mail but I am not very hopeful as my husband tried a many, many years ago and they wouldn’t budge on the way they do our address.

I am just waiting for now as Executive Complaints said it would put in writing their findings so that I could present it to Royal Mail.

Thank you.