cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Recontracting to avoid the March 31st 2023 Price rise?

Currently out of contract, - If I re-contract in the next few days will I avoid the March 31st 2023 Price rise?

Also how would paying my line rental for a year in advance on "Line Rental Saver" now work? As all the packages seem to be a single price for line & broadband bundled together?

I tried calling and speaking to BT but the guy I spoke too tied himself in knots with numbers, even at one point quoting me a price that was less than half my current contract, & finally finished the conversation as confused as I am!

Anybody able to advise / confirm? (Preferably a Mod?) @NeilO  ?

The guy on the phone said the price rise "wouldn't apply for me for this year" as by renewing now I'll be "locked in", but Page 5 of the the current Residential Tarrif guide https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf seems to contradict that, because it still states:-

"Changes to Broadband Prices from 31st March 2023
We are changing some of our BT Broadband prices on 31st
March 2023 in line with the CPI inflation rate of TBC plus 3.9%. Please see below for an example of price changes to some of our most popular BT Broadband products.
The monthly price will increase every year from March 2023. That increase is based on a percentage comprised of i) the Consum
er Price Index (CPI) Rate of inflation which is published in January of each year (ignoring any negative figures) plus ii) 3.9%."

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Recontracting to avoid the March 31st 2023 Price rise?

This is a lie. My rise is £5 on a £15 bb charge as I paid LRS. This is a rise of 30%.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

if you re-contract now you will not get the current increase but the package prices have increased on 1st march often not as much as the 14.4% so with some negotiation you may be able to get a deal.  this has been covered in many posts recently.

LRS is overed again by previous posts

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Line-rental-saver/m-p/2278341

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 19

@imjolly  Thanks, yeah they all popped up after I posted my thread, I'm working my way through the LRS stuff now,

Just read one including a letter of apology & a refund from BT following the ombudsman's decision on their lack of clarity re. LRS.

The thing I can't understand is, if by re-contracting now I am indeed protected from the 31st March 2023 price increase why on earth the new document, which is only dated 2 days ago, doesn't make that crystal clear?

i.e. Why can't they make it read:-  (My bold below)

"Changes to Broadband Prices from 31st March 2024
We are changing some of our BT Broadband prices on 31st
March 2024 in line with the CPI inflation rate of TBC plus 3.9%. Please see below for an example of price changes to some of our most popular BT Broadband products"

It clearly needs correcting/updating.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

The notes attached to the increase email say it is based on your contract at 13 Feb 2023 and if you have changed  anything go to tariff guide 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

To answer your question - because BT are not paying enough attention to managing content on their website.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 7 of 19

@imjolly 

> The notes attached to the increase email say it is based on your contract at 13 Feb 2023 and if you have changed anything go to tariff guide 

Yep, and we have changed something (we're dropping an add on), - so we followed the instructions & visited the tariff guide it linked to, which is the one dated 10th February 2023 (available here) :- https://img01.products.bt.co.uk/content/dam/bt/storefront/pdfs/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential_100223.pdf
Once there, we saw it advised us that the current version of the document to use was available at www.bt.com/tariffguide - which displays a new one dated 2 days ago. -  "Effective from 1st March 2023"

The wording in this latest 1st March 2023 guide states - "Changes to Broadband Prices from 31st March 2023"
Our package is included in the list of those due to be increased & it has both a pre & post 31st March 2023 price with an increase applied to the latter.

So... either the document is "wrong" - & it needs correcting because "the rise wont apply to us if we re-contract now"
          or
You're "wrong" - & we could indeed be liable for - "a price increase of CPI plus 3.9%" because it says so.

As my dad used to say - "You can't have it both ways kiddo!"

Given my further reading I do indeed think that you are correct, & the document is poorly worded & needs updating!
Either with the year changed to 2024, or a clause added to clarify.
Something along the lines of - "for all customers renewing or entering into a new contract between the 1st March 2023 & the 31st March 2023 you will not be liable to the 31st March 2023 scheduled price increase & no price rise will be applied to your contract before 31st March 2024".

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

There a posts from forum mods that confirm if you have re-contracted on or after 1st March that the increases due on 31st March will not apply. I am not sure if dropping an add-on is treated as recontracting 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

@imjolly  >There a posts from forum mods that confirm if you have re-contracted on or after 1st March that the increases due on 31st March will not apply.

Ah, thanks, finding that will confirm that the wording of the tariff document is definitely wrong then, & not you.

Unfortunately BT didn't include a link to any such Mod's post in their e-mail to us 😞    Only links to the tariff doc.,
which as we both must now agree is incorrect - at least WRT us folks currently looking to re-contract.

@stevebrass  > To answer your question - because BT are not paying enough attention to managing content on their website.

😞 It's a poor doo requiring us customers to dig into a community forum to establish the facts; rather than clearly stating them in the documentation linked to from their e-mails.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

somniac

I doubt it is a lie, when you pay your LRS it means you get £19.99 off your broadband package cost for the following 12 months. These days your line is included within the broadband package and the 14.4% increase applies to your broadband package (including the line element).

The term LRS I think is the cause of confusion by many customers and perhaps a better terms could be used by BT?
0 Ratings