cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Renegotiate package with BT

Hi,

Rang BT today on behalf of my neighbour who seemed to be paying loads more than me for similar package plus mobile. She was paying BT more than £100 a month for 30mb broadband, landline plus 700mins and a 3 gb data package plus iphone 11.

Spoke to BT on her behalf and negotiated the package to a sensible amount although was annoyed that the advisor would not give her the same 70-80mb Fibre to cab which i have. She is currently on Fibre to cab but capped at 30mb.

The BT call centre guy said it was technically not possible for her to have the faster speed even though she is on the same DP (pole) as me and fed from the same cabinet. Unfortunately , as i had worked for BT for 40 years i knew this was rubbish but could not convince them to give her the faster speed. The Openreach checker even shows which speeds are available and 70-80 mb was shown as being available.

As my neighbour does not stream video this was not a major issue but for even less money i could easily have moved the service to Plusnet and got 80mb broadband. As it happened she was still delighted with the better deal and happy to stay with BT. Good for my pension and shares though.

Assume the issue is with poor training of the call centre advisors or are they just not allowed to give away too much when renegotiating deals. We did also get a new hub!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Renegotiate package with BT

@Emrsw01wrote:

Assume the issue is with poor training of the call centre advisors or are they just not allowed to give away too much when renegotiating deals. We did also get a new hub!

No, it's based on a technology check using recently observed speeds, the advisor can only offer speeds the system shows available, maybe your neighbour recently had a fault that caused a drop in speeds, maybe your neighbours line is aluminium, it could be a range of things to be honest.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I can assure you that we are both on same DP so same type of cable back to cabinet. Everyone else in our lane has 80 mb broadband and we are not too far from the FTTC cab. She has not had any faults for years on the line. The advisor gave me some rubbish about how many people sharing the same line. I believe that is the contention ratio but should not affect max speed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I can assure you that 30Mbps isn't a cap, it will be due to a fault.

Have you tried connecting directly to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket with a new filter.

Is there any noise on the line with the quiet line test, 17070?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Emrsw01wrote:

I can assure you that we are both on same DP so same type of cable back to cabinet.

Not always but internal setup can also be a factor, her recently observed speeds suggest something isn't right.
there is no 30mbps cap, she will either be on the 40/10 SLT or 55/10 SLT, find the cause and the speed will increase by a few mbit or more.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

How come they show 2 options when you do a speed options check. 38-40 or 58-72.

If you are on the lower figure it must be throttled somewhere otherwise everyone would be on 58-72.

Think she is getting mid 30s so possibly some internal cable issues as well

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

It is not throttled. The speed you get is the maximum the line will support up to one of 2 caps, 55M or 80M

The 2 speed estimates (not options) are based on observed speed and whether the line is considered impaired or not.

Please post a screenshot of the checker result after editing out personal details.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Screenshot_2023-03-26-18-17-56-22_d365b52accad0f47adbc08c16219827d~2.jpgScreenshot_2023-03-26-18-18-04-26_d365b52accad0f47adbc08c16219827d.jpgScreenshot_2023-03-26-18-18-13-18_d365b52accad0f47adbc08c16219827d.jpg

0 Ratings