cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Transferring account to another member of household to get BT Home Essentials (keeping landline no)

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm asking this on behalf of my uncle and his partner: they live in the same house, and they have BT Phone + Broadband, and it's in her name.

However, my uncle would be eligible for BT Home Essentials (as he has Pension Credit [Guarantee Element]).

They are out of contract now anyway, so paying the higher out-of-contract prices.

My question is:
Is there any way of transferring the account into my uncle's name, whilst also keeping the existing landline telephone number (which is important to them)?

My research so far leads me to think that the only way of doing this would be to:

- Switch to another ISP for as short a term as possible (e.g. 12 months with PlusNet, or a rolling monthly contract with one of the few providers that do that on FTTC, e.g. IDNet or Pulse8), in my uncle's name
- Return their BT SMartHub 2 as part of that process
- Then sign back up to BT for Home Essentials (and receive a BT SmartHub2 back!), again in my uncle's name this time
And porting the landline number out to new ISP, and then back to BT, while doing this!

Is that the only way of doing this? Or is it possible for them to contact BT Customer Support to somehow cancel their existing account, then re-sign up in my uncle's name - all whilst keeping the existing landline number?

Many thanks... Adam.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Transferring account to another member of household to get BT Home Essentials (keeping landline

Go to solution

The account can't be transferred, but there should be no reason that the account can't be ceased and a new one provided. Speak to customer services, 0800 800150 to discuss the options.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Transferring account to another member of household to get BT Home Essentials (keeping landline

Go to solution

Thanks - I'll tell them to try that - much appreciated!

0 Ratings