cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Unable to activate BT Sport

Hello, I'm an existing BT Broadband customer and new EE mobile customer, the latter includes access to BT Sport. However, I'm unable to activate my account and having been passed around from EE to BT and vice versa, I believe this problem lies on BT's end.

When registering via https://www.bt.com/eesport, we are asked to enter our EE mobile number and postcode. After entering a pin code received via SMS an email address is entered. I used the same email address (aka BT ID) that my Broadband account uses, I've had this account for 11 months.

Now here's where the problems start. I received an email from BT:

> An update about your order

Hello Andrew,

> BT Sport Ultimate add-on
Thanks for choosing the BT Sport Ultimate add-on. You can now watch selected matches in up to 4K HDR on the large and small screen BT Sport apps. Find out if your device is compatible with 4K HDR.

> Any questions? We're here to help.

That is not my BT ID. Given that EE do not have access to my BT ID, I believe this error is on the BT end and this duplicate account that was created is preventing me from being able to access BT Sport.

The follow up activation email from BT asked me to enter my BT ID, the answer to a question set in one of the earlier stages and finally my password. Somewhere in the pipeline, BT's system must understand I have an existing account because I am asked to enter (not create) a password. Entering a wrong password errors, as it should, entering the correct password produces the error "We seem to have a technical issue".

Presumably this is because BT's system has 2 accounts with the same email address and the BT Sport package is erroneously connected to the "new" account which shouldn't have been created, see above for the ID.

Consequently I've never successfully been able to activate BT Sport and logging into the app gives an ID003 error, i.e. no subscription found for the account.

Please keep in mind, I have contacted EE about this, all they are able to do is reset my ability to enter my phone number again in the first link mentioned in the post. This process has been attempted once already, but like before, when the activation link is received from BT, it results in the technical issue error.

Can BT either move the subscription from the wrong account to my existing account and/or purge this duplicate account which may be what is causing this issue to begin with?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to activate BT Sport

Hi @andyxl987,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry if you're having problems setting up the BT Sport on your EE service.

If you already have a BT ID linked to your BT service, you would need to use a different email address when setting up the BT ID for your EE BT Sport service.

Have you tried using another email address? unfortunately we don't have access to EE accounts to check this for you.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi @PaddyB, I've not tried using another email address and it's not an option presently because I've already tried linking my account so attempting to start the process from the beginning via bt.com/eesport results in an error.

Besides, there is no mention anywhere that a different email address should be used, to quote the mentioned page:

> To use the BT Sport app you need a BT ID username and password.

> If you don't have a BT ID we'll help you register for a new one.

This implies that it is possible to continue with an existing BT ID.

I had included an account number in my original post which is not my account number, at least not one I can access anywhere. Being a software engineer, I would guess that this technical issue error is because the system can't deal with one email address having multiple account numbers where the package has been added to the newly created account which I as the customer do not have access to.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I would like to elevate this issue to a complaint. BT have created 2 additional credit agreements which I did not agree to. The dates of these agreements are as follows:

Start Date: 18/10/2021
Date Satisfied: 19/10/2021
Date Updated: 10/11/2021

Start Date: 18/10/2021
Date Satisfied: 22/10/2021
Date Updated: 10/11/2021

The 18th October is when I failed to link BT Sport to my account, twice. Yet BT's system is quite happy to create a permanent credit agreement which is visible via Equifax and Experian.

FWIW, I now have BT Sport activated by using another email address, which is inconvenient but it is what is is. The creation of these two credit agreements however is not acceptable.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi, @andyxl987 I'm sorry to see you've had credit agreements set up against your wishes and I can completely understand why you're not happy with that.  As your BT Sport service is provided as part of your EE mobile contract you will need to raise any issues with them as BT don't have access to this information, sorry.

Thanks

Neil 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@NeilO what started as being unable to activate BT Sport has turned into new credit agreements being created by BT, not EE, thus this is firmly a BT issue. The credit agreements in question are supplied by "Communications Supplier from BT CONSUMER (I)", this matches my existing (legal) credit agreement for my broadband connection.

For reference, EE are "Communications Supplier from EE LIMITED (I)".

Complaining about this issue to EE would not be so different to mentioning it to Vodafone, they are not the ones who have set up the credit agreement.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @andyxl987, thanks for posting back and I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us and we'll be happy to help you further with this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings