cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

BT Virus Protect not linking to BT account

Go to solution

Trying to install BT Virus Protect (Norton) on a new Acer Notebook (I7 16Gb with Win 11).
I first uninstalled the free trial version pre-installed on the laptop, rebooted then downloaded and installed via my BT account (main account manager) on the MyBT website which linked to the my.norton website for installer.
The software installs and then reports 1 licence used, 30 days trial left. Trying to manage this results in it asking for a Norton login. 
I have 6 of 15 licences installed according to other previously installed devices.
For some reason the new install isn't linking to my BT credentials (it has the BT logo). Tried removing and reinstalling via MyBT multiple times with same result.

Help!

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Virus Protect not linking to BT account

Go to solution

Okay, I appear to have fixed it. Uninstalled and rebooted then removed all "Norton" folders from C:\Users, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\ProgramData as well as a few Norton Registry keys.

This time the installer asked me to log in to my BT account to activate and succeeded.

I'd even tried the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool in Advanced\Remove only mode - to no avail.

Hope this helps someone, but please don't go poking around the registry unless you know what you are doing. It may be that just removing the left-over folders does it.

I'm classing it as a buggy installer - doesn't take into account all common eventualities. Who do I bill for the 3 hours research and solution? 😉

0 Ratings