cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT in-app Speed Test crashes router at 68% everytime

Hi all

I’ve not ran a speed test for a while and gave it a go via the BT app. Each and everytime at 68% the router fails, goes orange and takes a few minutes to come back on. The speed test never completes.

The router is connected via Ethernet and it is the smart hub 2

Any ideas because I want to check I’m getting the speeds I should as using a google speed test shows me I’m getting a third of what I’m paying for

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT in-app Speed Test crashes router at 68% everytime

If you have a Windows PC or laptop connected by ethernet, then download a speed test app (e.g. Ookla speedtest from either the Microsoft store or the web. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The speed you are  paying for is to the hub (or your own router) not what a speed test site will report or what you get to a device wired or wireless.

Your hub (or router) will tell you what speed it is recieving.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I had this problem with my Smart Hub 2 as well. A reset (push a pin into the recessed reset button on the back for around 10 seconds until the lights flash) cleared it up for me.

If you have any contacts or personal settings saved in the hub, back them up before the reset. If you have changed any WiFi settings, these will also be reset to the defaults.

Otherwise if you are on ADSL or Fibre to the cabinet, and not full fibre, as said above the hub will tell you what speed it is connected at in its settings. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I know, that is why I’m trying to run the BT Apps speed test as that reports speeds to the hub….but it keeps crashing the router, as I explained 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

There may be a slight discrepancy between Ookla over a wired connection and the MyBT app (usually Ookla will report a slightly lower speed) but if that speed is above your Stayfast Guarantee then, as far as BT are concerned, you are getting the speed you're paying for.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I’m having the same issue. It used to work fine before but now the in app BT speedtest crashes my router.

Using the speed test website I’m getting 150mbps speeds whereas I used to get 305mbps which is what I’m paying for. Is BT having a service outage?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Doing a reset on the Hub makes no difference. At 68% of the BT in-app speedtest, the router flashes purple and then orange, and restarts itself. The test fails to complete giving the message:

Sorry we were unable to complete your speedtest. 
Unfortunately the speed test failed. There could be a technical issue on our part. Please try again later. 

0 Ratings