cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT/EE TV Pro box won't play apps on Samsung Smart TV

A strange problem with my BT/EE TV Pro box and a Samsung Smart TV.

I was given an old, but in good condition, Samsung 55" UE55HU7500 smart TV.
I connected it to my BT/EE TV Pro box.
It works fine for most things, but it won't play some apps!
Netflix (runs for a couple of minutes then freezes)
ITV X gives error message after playing ads.
Prime,  ditto
My5, ditto.
Discovery+ ditto
Most others, as far as I know, seem to work fine!
What is odd is that the Pro box works with my Medion smart TV, but not with the Samsung.
And both TVs work okay with apps on an old BT TV Box!
This is driving me nuts!
Would anyone know what might be causing this?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT/EE TV Pro box won't play apps on Samsung Smart TV

My first thought would be  an HDMI handshake/ authentication issue.  Try another HDMI cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I have tried several cables but still get the same result.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

maybe try  a different HDMI port on your TV.

Also have a look at the settings on the Box Pro  - Picture and Sound  - perhaps set HDMI Frame Rate Matching off if set to on , and experiment with the HDMi Display setting - ie see if it works at 720p then try the higher rates.

Also check the Samsung TV to see of there are any External Device settings relating to HDMI.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I'd start with a factory reset of the Samsung. This may be separate from a restart. Check the  Support tab in the menu for a full reset.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@dplayfair 

Can you set the HDMI ports to be Enhanced?

My 2015 (UE55JS9000) Samsung TV needed this before the BBC iPlayer on an attached Roku Streaming Stick + would serve up UHD.

Not quite your issue I know, but it may be a consideration, especially if the Pro box is trying to put out UHD.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

This could be a HDCP issue.

The Virgin box I use to have was murder for it, apps never worked on it unless you restarted it and got lucky but they would always break eventually. Didnt make alot of sense considering other devices connected to the same AVR worked fine, for me it turned out that the Virgin box was not good at working through an AVR, I binned Virgin when I came to BT so ive not had the issue since. Curiously with the Virgin box I could watch the Ultra HD Live Channels like BT Sport Ultimate as it was called then....but Netflix etc would never actually run content.

I think @Midnight_Voice has a point though:

Ultra HD compatibility and set up on your 4K TV (older models) | BT Help

The YouView Box requires HDCP 2.2 according to that link for Ultra HD Content, applying what I generally know, if the client device cannot sync with HDCP at the other end (IE the TV) it might just fail. Given my experience with the Virgin V6 box where UltraHD TV worked but app content did not, it could be you need to set your HDMI to enhanced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @dplayfair - please can you share the serial number of your Pro box?

Thanks
Gavin

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @dplayfair  - looking at your TV model, the most likely cause of the issues you're experiencing is the Pro box is not connected to the HDMI 3 (MHL) port.

Only the HDMI 3 port on your TV supports HDCP 2.2 so if you're not using this port to connect to the Pro box you will see the issues you're describing.

Please connect the Pro box to the HDMI3 and let me know if this resolves the issues for you.

Thanks
Gavin