cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Pro Box Checking (Unsuccesfully) For Updates

Go to solution

Everytime I turn the box on I get the checking for update message followed by a message saying 'We can't update your software'.  I also try from the settings menu but no luck.  Not a huge issue as I'm only using it for BT Sport/recording Freeview but it is a bit irritating.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Pro Box Checking (Unsuccesfully) For Updates

Go to solution

Well as Youview  no longer announce BT Pro box software  updates it is not straightforward to assess why your your box seems to expect  an update. I think your choices are live with the messages if your box is otherwise  performing correctly  or undertake a maintenance mode 4 reset on the box (I say 4 as that should  pull the software  from the servers rather than from the copy secured on your box)

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks I thought about doing a reset (I've tried a simple power cycle) I'll give it a go when I get some spare time and as you say live with the message in the interim.

As it's no longer my daily TV box since switching to Sky it's not that much of an inconvenience just wondered if anyone else had come across it.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

I think  sometimes  Youview  updates are paused or not fully  deployed. Generally  that is nothing for us users to be worried about. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I’ve got the same behaviour, not with the actual software updates, but if I try updating Apps in the settings menu. Automatic checking seem still to be working.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

What version are you on? The current version is: Manufacturer software: 0.7.248 - Component software: 4.1.52

If will not update if already on that.

@tweetSP0RTwrote:

Everytime I turn the box on I get the checking for update message followed by a message saying 'We can't update your software'.  I also try from the settings menu but no luck.  Not a huge issue as I'm only using it for BT Sport/recording Freeview but it is a bit irritating.

Mine usually does that but then sometimes it doesn't error.

@mikealanrwrote:

I’ve got the same behaviour, not with the actual software updates, but if I try updating Apps in the settings menu. Automatic checking seem still to be working.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Yeah I'm on those two versions so the software is up to date just never had the behaviour where each day when you turn the box back on you have to wait for the box to check for updates etc.  As I said it's not a big issue for me now it's not my 'daily driver' box but is just a bit annoying.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I've never seen it look for automatic updates - only when I've forced a check.

@tweetSP0RTwrote:

Yeah I'm on those two versions so the software is up to date just never had the behaviour where each day when you turn the box back on you have to wait for the box to check for updates etc.  As I said it's not a big issue for me now it's not my 'daily driver' box but is just a bit annoying.  

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@tweetSP0RT 

When left on these boxes check for updates around 2-3am each day but if you power it off overnight , as I do now, then when powered on it will perform a check. If you power it on just to watch something then you'll get the delay then.

I'm careful about the use of "power on" versus "switch on" as in my case it's automatically powered on at 9:30 am by a smart plug and sometimes it'll do the update check in the background , other times when I switch it on to watch a recording it'll do the check then.

The argument is that you shouldn't power these devices off but with the cost of energy these days every little helps.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@TimCurtis 

Sorry I wasn't very clear, my box isn't switched off at the wall overnight just put into standby with the standby mode is set to 'Always Ready' with automatic standby set to 12 hours. 

@ozsat 

I hadn't seen this behaviour until recently the only thing that has changed is it is getting less use that it used to, but it has done it twice this morning. First when I went to watch the ITV4 highlights of the Tour de France (like to watch Eurosport live) then again just now when I went to check my standby settings in response to Tim's reply.

0 Ratings