cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT Set top box control for elderly

Hello

I have an elderly relative with a BT Connect Dolby Bluetooth Set top box.   She finds the BT TV remote control difficult to operate causing anxiety and not able to make use of the tv. 

It has too many very small buttons (47 buttons) on it most of which elderley or impaired people will never use. Easy to mistakenly press the wrong button and turn it off or change its mode.

There are simple remote controllers like Flipper which could help but they are infrared only and this BT box uses Bluetooth from what I’ve been told. Haven’t found a simple to use Bluetooth tv remote yet. 

Has anyone found a solution they could share to make BT Connect more accessible to elderley people? A keyboard or game control is not an Option.  This needs to be simple with on / off, channel Change, vol /  up down  that’s it.

Otherwise are infrared set top boxes and controls still available ?

thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Set top box control for elderly

I think the box you have is a BT TV Box Pro, if so it can use IR as well as Bluetooth, you need the remote up as Humax DTR-T4000, I have done this with my harmony remote and it works perfectly

Message 3 of 16

I don't recognise the BT Connect description but the mention of bluetooth suggest the BT Pro box? But that remote doesn't have 47 buttons.

If that is what she has then the box also has an IR receiver & will respond to a Humax command set. So if you can identify a suitable programmable remote then that should work fine. But they usually have the opposite problem of missing buttons!

As far as I know, all previous BT boxes were made by Humax & are IR only, so again should work with a third party remote.

Message 4 of 16

@rbz5416 

I think the OP must be referring to the earlier (T2100, T4000) remote which does have 47 buttons

Message 5 of 16

Whichever box your elderly relative has it will work with an IR control, indeed there is no value in using Bluetooth mode at present as voice search has not yet been implemented in the BT TV Box Pro.

Geemarc manufacture a range of learning big button remote controls which may help, they do not need a code as they learn from the original control.

The disadvantage of that being that you have to decide which keys you want the Geemarc control to learn and then programme them in one at a time

Message 6 of 16

The One For All Zapper 2 may do the job & is currently discounted at Argos. Or there's a plain Zapper without number buttons but it's also missing a Menu key.

Message 7 of 16

Thanks.  I bought a Flipper. Tried all the codes but it didn’t connect.  The BT Box is made by Dolby which seems to be Bluetooth not responding to any infrared instructions .  I’ll give this another go. But did spend ages on this.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Thank you for all the replies. 

Hi the BT box is made by Dolby.  It doesn’t reply to any of the codes for Humax on the Flipper simple remote.   Though the flipper remote works fine with the Samsung tv which is infrared. 

but I’ll give it another go anyway.

Message 9 of 16

Can you post the model number of the box on the label, or post a pic?

Message 10 of 16

Dolby do not make TV Boxes, they do audio specification so not hardware - can you take a picture of the box then we should be able to help