cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT TV Pro Box without subscription?

Go to solution

Does a BT Pro Box work to access live TV without a BT subscription?

I have BT Fibre broadband with a smart hub 2. I want to be able to access Freeview channels. I do not have an aeirl so will be connecting by wifi only. I want to be able to record as well as access apps when required. I do not need now tv or sports and I already have Netflix subscription. 

Any response as to whether this would meet my needs or an alternative solution would be great. thank you. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT TV Pro Box without subscription?

Go to solution

IP delivery of Freeview channels is only available with an active BT TV subscription. 

Also, any Pro Boxes that are bought through a third party retailer aren't being sold by BT and won't have any after market support or warranty. Your warranty will be with whoever sold you the box.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Not without an aerial, you need some form of BT TV subscription to access the IPTV channels, even the Freeview based ones. 

BT TV is the only option in the marketplace currently that allows you to access a base level of channels delivered over the internet and record them. Something they really should market properly.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

It’s just a shame they don’t seem to offer a basic IPTV package as I don't want the NowTV etc I just want a recorder box that works via wifi. Never mind. Thanks anayway.

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

So you can get the freeview channels with an aerial, can you record them as well. Can i also log into any of the streaming apps with my own accounts too.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

At the moment yes but this could change in the future as the retail version of Youview winds down.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

So any ideas when that may happen and what that will mean.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@Pip601967 just speculation but Youview is officially dead as a retail platform and I think BT are now the only one of the original partners left on board. They're also loaning the Pro Box now as standard with BT TV subscriptions so I can see at some point support for the older boxes stopping so they become redundant and Pro Box's authenticating against a BT TV subscription before they do anything...... 

Youview retail customers will be nudged towards a new Freeview retail box as their retail Youview boxes become more and more useless.