cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Download - rather than stream - a rented/purchased movie?

Asking as I can't find a similar question already posted...

If I rent/purchase a movie can I download and then playback or am I restricted to streaming? I have a BT TV Box Pro with recording capability. I have a 4K TV but experience buffering if I attempt to playback, for example, 4K (2160p) YouTube content. I've seen reference to download on mobile devices but here I mean to the TV box.

We're unfortunately limited to FTTC broadband, getting up to 24Mb/s on a good day. Interestingly I can seemingly stream Bravia Core content and suspect I'm right at the limit of 4K streaming. It would be nice to have the option of downloading to avoid buffering - obv my internal network is not preventing these speeds.

Or - and I confess I haven't thought too much on this - if I stream and then pause would I get a more meaningful chunk buffered?

Many thanks in advance
Mike

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Download - rather than stream - a rented/purchased movie?

The BT TV player on BT TV boxes uses "progressive download" to watch assets, so it's somewhere in between streaming and downloading. It doesn't download the entire video, but downloads enough to ensure a decent experience in most cases. You're right that pausing the video right at the beginning should decrease the likelihood of it buffering during the movie.

Having said that, with up to 24Mb/s you should be ok with any of the BT TV store content.