cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

New tv box

Are there any plans to upgrade the tv box pro?  It’s been around since June 2021 and is significantly slower and clunkier to operate than sky stream or virgin alternative.

it lacks functionality like individual profiles for family members and still no YouTube, Disney+, voice search, etc.

surely with the switch to EE a new more powerful and modern hardware based box would sell the service. 

the box pro is way better than previous boxes but in my opinion still miles behind sky/virgin in terms of user experience.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: New tv box

Doubt that the missing functionality and features is down to the Sagemcom box pro hardware.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

That’s a fair point, maybe the hardware is up to the job but held back by the Youview software.  

Simple things like having to press ok before entering a PIN is pointless and the layout/order of items on the main screen is annoying, dynamically moving the most recently used app to the start would help.

and why are E4 and film4 only available in sd, I wouldn’t watch anything in SD as my OCD couldn’t handle it 🤣

Sorry I turned this post into a moan about things I dislike but i guess I have high expectations after using the really slick Sky glass/stream interface.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

@DerekBetts 

Moan indeed; you can certainly moan about Film4 not being available  in HD, but you need to moan to Channel Four; you can hardly blame BT for not offering a channel that doesn’t exist on FreeView.

And it’s not even on Freesat, either 😢

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

whilst FilmFour HD is not provided on Freeview the channels that EE TV provide over IP are as agreed with the broadcasters in their content agreements. Other pay TV platforms do take a FilmFour HD feed so it is available.  So presumably no agreement has yet been reached by EE TV with Channel 4. It is disappointing that since it’s initial agreements on IP channels there seems to have been little movement or activity in adding more linear channels initially by BT TV  and subsequently  EE TV.
The EE TV packages do allow for some HD channel content to be regarded as premium and viewable only with the relevant HD addon so passing on any additional costs should be straightforward. 

Message 6 of 14

The hardware is capable of everything needed - there's no need for a new box.
The lack of E4 in HD is a personal bugbear of mine too, but we're not allowed it.
Apps are being added to the platform all the time - we're aware of the commonly requested apps, and there are good reasons why they're not available yet. Sorry, I can't say any more than that.
I don't use any PIN enabled services, so I wasn't aware of that behaviour - I'll ask if there's a reason why it works like that, and whether it can be changed.
Message 7 of 14

Re: New tv box (HD add-on?)

@zulu17 

Thanks for that.

I’ve been trying to find out what the HD add-on to an EE TV package actually buys you, and I have failed utterly, even using my best Google-fu. Some places I have found seem to promise to tell you, but don’t actually do that 😢

The recommendation on some of the answers is to ask in the Community if you are no wiser, so here I am 😛

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

The Channel 4 suite of live channels are available in HD through the app on an Apple TV, I assume because it is a "pure" streaming device and doesn't have a tuner.

Other streamers may do the same, I think Fire TV sticks and Roku do, but could be wrong as I no longer have them to test.

No need to pay for premium either, unless you want on demand ad free, as that is also in HD. 

@DerekBettswrote:

Are there any plans to upgrade the tv box pro?  It’s been around since June 2021 and is significantly slower and clunkier to operate than sky stream or virgin alternative.

it lacks functionality like individual profiles for family members and still no YouTube, Disney+, voice search, etc.

surely with the switch to EE a new more powerful and modern hardware based box would sell the service. 

As others have said, the box has the power, but it is held back by the OS and far too many compromises in terms of functionality. The 'service' is easily replicable with a Freeview/Freesat box and/or streaming device for less with no contracts.

When you have been here as long as some of us you will realise you basically signed up for 2 years during which, whilst you may provide feedback and try to be positive, you find very little changes in your favour. 

There will be some people the service suits, but if you care about UX, content availability, the use of voice for accessibility and having access to the best quality sound and vision, BT/EE TV is miles away from competitors.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 9 of 14

@Midnight_Voice  At the moment  the HD add on to the TV package gives you the linear live HD  channel for those subscription channels where both SD and HD versions  of the multicast channel are provided. Subject to your broadband  speed  and  having TNT sport in you TV package here is a HD/4K addon which in addition would allow viewing  of the multicast TNT Sport Ultimate  433 and HDR 465.

Taking the HD or HD/4K add on also gives you free NOW Boost addon IF your base TV packs is one that includes NOW Membership   (eg Entertainment/Big Entertainment/Big Sport/ Full Works).

So HD addons are not required for the FreetoAir channels in IP mode nor for the Asia Mix channels as those channels are either provided  in one of SD or HD not both. 

Viewing content in discovery + in Hd/4K does not require  the HD addon.

The HD addons also are needed to  watch sport  on demand in HD  (and 4K limited choice) on the big  screen EE TV app.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@zulu17 

Thanks for that.

So there is absolutely no sense whatever in buying Now Boost for £6 when you could buy the HD add-on for the same price, and get Boost plus more?

I wonder how many people know that?

0 Ratings