Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 61

Re: No more fast forwarding through the adverts for ITV recordings in IP mode

Oh well, back to aerial mode we go.

Message 12 of 61

This is disappointing to read. 

I’m also going back to aerial mode now, not only does the IP mode not have UKTV channels we’ve now essentially lost the ITV channels too as they become unwatchable due to imposed adverts. 

another nail in the coffin for BT TV 

Message 13 of 61

I’m plugging the aerial back in too

Message 14 of 61

I wonder how they're going to do this. Maybe there's some kind of "flag" during the ad breaks to stop you. Interesting. I'll be having a dabble to see what happens on Monday. If their ad break "flag" is as good as there accurate recording "flag", I can see it being a total disaster. 😂

On the subject of ITVX. I took out their premium subscription last January at £3.99. Thought I'd cancel as I didn't really use it, and was offered £2.99 for three months. So if you also took out the same offer last year, I suggest you go through the cancellation process at the end of your year and see if you get the same offer... Worth a try. 😎

Message 15 of 61

Like others the aerial will be  plugged back in, the whole point of recording a programme is to watch advert free. 🤭... .  

Message 16 of 61

@Hunter2660  If ITV and Youview/BT can develop technology to identify when adverts start and finish then  surely they can identify when a program starts and finish so can we expect recordings to be full and complete. If not could someone explain the difference between accurately identifying when an advert is being shown and when a program is being shown.

Message 17 of 61

@zulu17 

I would imagine that itv are going to put a flag in the metadata to indicate when ads are being shown, and that BT have had to agree to respect this flag and not allow fast forwarding to start while this flag is set, if they are to be granted the feed for the IP channels.

Something like, and actually a lot simpler than, the TA mechanism on car radios.

For programme duration, the IP channels must be using something very close to the Present/Following triggers that tell the broadcast side when programmes start and stop (or more accurately, when the box should regard programmes as starting and stopping, whether they actually do or not).

This needs central control for all channels.

So no easier, if no harder, to get right than they are now. But remember, the P/F doesn’t just go out on the channel it is for; every P/F, carrying its channel number, has to go out on every channel, so a box, not currently tuned to a channel it is scheduled to start recording on, will see the P/F for the channel it must now retune to, recognise the series and programme CRIDS, and make the switch.

The ad thing will be a lot simpler, and the channel provider will have a strong incentive to get it right, if they are to get the ad revenue they seek 😛

Message 18 of 61

Considering going back over to aerial mode,would be reluctant as I’m in a freeview light area.This could backfire as people may just pick up their phone or go proper old school and go make a cup of tea.Generally,I think people don’t have time for adverts.

Message 19 of 61

Oh not bother watching the channels!

Message 20 of 61

@Hunter2660 

When you have your dabble, try backing up a minute or so before the ads, and then fast forwarding, as it ought to be that when you have a fast forward going, that won’t stop for adverts. Though they may be clever enough to catch you having a short run up.

Though the annoyance will probably still be that it’s Skip, not Fast Forward, that is/was the best way to get through ads, and one Skip usually won’t get you all the way past the ads.

0 Ratings