cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Programmes skipping and picture breaking up

We know its partly Freeview, but as this has been going on for so long, affecting alot of people, why are the Boxes not being modified to resolve the issue. As it shows there is a problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

I don’t have the confidence to be changing settings etc to my tv. I have had this tv and box for 2 years without many issues. But all of a sudden as I’m at the end of my contract, issues have started. I’m usually very positive about what I have been receiving but it’s hard to understand why something I’m provided with to watch freeview channels etc is not able to facilitate this. Especially as it is the most basic of channels BBC1 and ITV that have been most affected. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

@njlewis19 

There's always work going on with the TV transmitters and this can sometimes cause issues with TV reception. Channels are being juggled around , transmitter strengths & frequencies get changed.

BT or any other provider of a receiving box can't be held responsible for issues caused by the above.

However , it is a fact that on the Humax BT boxes the tuners are suspect to strong signals which is why the addition of a variable attenuator is so often the solution.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Hasn't worked with ours, we have a attenuator. We've tried that, we have had a new arial, new cables and it still breaks up. Got to the point where we will take a TV subscription out with Sky and leave BT at the end of our contract.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Hi same issue, but our by box connects via hdmi straight to tv not arieal ? 
How do I fix or when do i connect the attenuator ? 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

@Tintnan1 if you're recieving your TV signal via the internet over WiFi or Ethernet, an attenuator will be of no use to you.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

@Tintnan1 

In your scenario you need to look at the connection between router & Pro Box. First step is to try an ethernet cable, if only temporarily, to see if the problem persists.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

@Tintnan1 

Another thing that would be useful is to see if the picture still breaks up on the TV, when fed directly from the aerial and not via the BT box.

If it does, the issue is not with the box. If it doesn’t, then it confirms the box is at fault.

Which may well just be a matter of needing an attenuator to reduce the signal strength; but if the developers of the Pro box knew this might be an issue, as it has been for earlier YouView boxes, why didn’t they do something about it?

I’ve never heard of a TV needing an attenuator; though as this item seems to be so readily available, I can’t think that they are all needed just for YouView boxes.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Any idea how to fix ? 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

We used a Attenuator and it was ok. Fiddly but ok, needed moving now and again. It was the low number frequency that was the issue like Five star, C5, C4 etc

We've upgraded our package and now run the TV through the internet. Which is far better. 

We did find though, it wasn't just the You View box, as our upstairs TV is free view and that breaks up. On the Freeview webpage is a link to a company that sends a free interference gadget out if they find your area has 5G masts that can cause the problem. 

Worth trying all avenues above. 

0 Ratings