cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Record TV channels from BT onto NAS

Go to solution

Hi,

I am wondering whether if its possible to be able to add a network attached storage to record live TV programmes so it can easily be accessed onto any BT box we have in our household. I know each BT box has 500GB of storage but I'd like to use my NAS to record all TV programmes and keep it on there, this may be particularly useful if our BT box becomes faulty and does not work, then we have a backup of all the recorded programmes.

It might not be a possibility but I just wish YouView could have this feature included as it would be very useful to have.

Many thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Record TV channels from BT onto NAS

Go to solution

It's not available because it would completely do away with any and all copy protection 

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I get what you mean, but I don't suppose the recorded TV programmes would be encrypted so only the BT TV box would recognise and not other type of source format like MP4, MOV, AVI etc.

I'd be interested in taking out the HDD in one of our old TV boxes and see what content is stored as, it might be just files with no compatible source which my computer would not open... I think.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The broadcasts and subsequent recordings are protected and encrypted and is decrypted by HDCP chip in the HDMI network. If that doesn't handshake correctly, the content won't play. 

You could probably copy the files by taking the drive out and putting it in a pc but you'd then have to break the encryption on the files.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If its just freeview you want, plug a USB DVB-T2 directly into the NAS and run something like TVheadend. Then you should be able to watch live TV and recordings on most devices.

If you are looking to get access to the Now TV content, then there are no real practical ways

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Benjamin123 

It is possible to extract TV recordings from the HDD but only the SD recordings are viewable, the others are encrypted to that particular box.