cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

This isn't a question, it's a statement and hopefully an encouragement to other customers to be loud

It's appalling I'm paying for a TV service delivered over the Internet with such a disheartening poor quality TV BOX. The connectivity chip for Ethernet and WiFi and the associated software stack are the poorest I keep experiencing. In my 10 years with BT I've seen ZERO improvement in this area. My Panasonic UHD Blueray Player, my 2x Sony UHD TV, my Nintendo Switch, my Sony AV Amplifier, my NVIDIA TV Shield 1st and 2nd generation have all been reliable streaming devices for Media (music and/or videos) from local intranet and the internet, via WiFi and via PowerLine extenders. The TV BOX is a COMPLETE FAILURE at streaming, even STANDARD DEFINITION content! The TV BOX only works with a direct ETH connection to the BT Hub. A PowerLine connection works for barely 20mins on Standard Content and doesn't work at all for FHD. Over WiFi the TV BOX is even more HOPELESS: IF it manages to connect, IF IT DOES, streaming will work for barely 30 mins. And then magically the TV BOX one day will loose its WiFi connection to the BT Hub and never recover it again unless a miracle happens. This is the POOREST EXPERIENCE I've ever experienced with ANY MEDIA DEVICE. APPALLING. BT SHALL BE ASHAMED. AND CUSTOMERS SHALL COMPLAIN MORE!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: This isn't a question, it's a statement and hopefully an encouragement to other customers to be

I'm still waiting for my new EE equipment having switched from BT to EE 4 weeks ago. 11 phone calls, just over 5 hours on the phone, spoken to 13 different people in about 5 different departments but no solution. Not only that, but BT is still charging me for the services I cancelled in February. " We'll get back to you on Saturday with an update" (it's Tuesday today) is the best they can say.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: This isn't a question, it's a statement and hopefully an encouragement to other customers to be

@nidmisc I have a bucket load of issues with YouView and EE TV, but no one is making you use the service.

It’s not as if there aren’t any other IPTV solutions these days, or even perfectly usable aerial/satellite based options, however limited the shelf life now is.

If it’s not fit for purpose, complain and get out of your contract or get it fixed properly. It’s not worth the high blood pressure, it’s just telly! 😁

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 4 of 9

@nidmisc 

The behaviour you describe is not typical; something, and it sounds like the BT box, is cutting out every 30 minutes, which is something it shouldn’t be doing.

If a Factory Reset (which I assume you have tried?) doesn’t fix it, or it only fixes it temporarily, then you should have BT supply you with a replacement. Which, as you observe, is part of the service you are paying for.

Like @stereohaven, I have a few reservations about the facilities provided by YouView boxes, notably what the box could have been compared with what it is; but none about the reliability of the box or its connections.

And I have one wired direct, and one that used to work fine over PLAs but that now works over a WiFi extender (BT disc) and one non-WiFi one that works over a nanorouter to make it effectively a WiFi one, which you are not even supposed to be able to do. And all are rock solid.

Have you talked to BT about your problems at all? If so, what happened?

Message 5 of 9

@nidmisc  From looking at previous posts  am I correct in deducing that you have had  the Box Pro Tv box since January 2022. Is it  is that whilst the box functions with a direct cable to your Hub normally whenever you rely on Wi-Fi connection or PLAs you cannot get a reliable service ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Guys, the OP is 18 months old & the poster hasn't been online since...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I'm not sure the comparisons in the original post are fair.

There needs to be some distinction between Streaming Platforms (Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc) and watching BT/EE TV in IP mode. The latter using Multicast which is a far more delicate streaming method than Unicast which is used by former.

Anyone can stream a movie from Netflix on the worst connection ever and it will buffer and negotiate a speed, as far as I know Multicast will not do this, so using WIFI, Powerline will have its effects on live TV, however the streaming apps will probably perform better on the same TV box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
Message 8 of 9

@rbz5416 

You’re right.

Yech @Vin_Lev , who mysteriously does not appear in the list of posters in this thread, should have started a new thread.

And/or BT/EE should be closing old threads that don’t deserve to be disinterred 😢

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

There is further post from Vin (same content) that is a new thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/EE-TV-YouView/Re-EETV/m-p/2358449

although I suspect that thread has been split off from a reply to a  further preexisting thread entitled EETV.

There is an archiving process that is appied to the forum threads  although at 18 months the original post may not have matched the criteria being applied when that process was last run.

0 Ratings