cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

BT Premium Email & 2FA for sub accounts

My account recently got hacked and I realised 2FA wasn't enabled. I have since successfully enabled 2FA on my main BT ID and a Gifted email I use as my main email address (the same one that got hacked).

Reading other posts, I understand sub-accounts that have not been gifted and/or do not have their own unique BT ID cannot be 2FA enabled, but what happens if suspicious activity is detected on one of my un-gifted sub-accounts - is notification sent to the parent BT ID email address or text to my mobile number; or does nothing happen?

It's just I have a number of such sub-account email addresses, two of which are used by close family. I'd rather not have to gift these out for them to have the hassle of managing the BT ID , hence why I want to know what (if any) protection these sub-accounts have while they are managed by me.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Premium Email & 2FA for sub accounts

As far as I am aware, if they are not "gifted" the email account will be seen as one of your email accounts and any 2FA set up will notify you and you will have to acknowledge it every time 2FA is activated.

This would of course mean that you will have to contact the family member to ascertain if the 2FA is caused by them or if it is a genuine activation from an unauthorised person trying to access the email account.

You would be better to "gift" the email account to them.  Once they have accepted the "gifted" email account and set up their own MyBT and 2FA on the account they do not need to access the MyBT account again except if they want to change the password. 

They would only have to acknowledge the 2FA once and mark their device as safe. Any further activations would be sent to them and they would obviously be aware if it was activated by them or an unauthorised person and would not need to your involvement.

Easier still, assuming that you have or can get their email account password, is that you just you do all the "gifting" and setting up of their "MyBT" for them from your computer. This would allow you to mange the email account account through their MyBT and if you use your contact number for the 2FA you would manage that in the same I initially outlined above.