cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

I am unable to open links sent within outlook.(safelinks)

I am unable to open links within outlook and my organisation has just informed us that this is only affecting BT customers due to a recent DNS change. 

i am currently hotspoting from my phone as a workaround to allow me open links.

When will this be resolved

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: I am unable to open links sent within outlook.(safelinks)

Same issue for our company. Started yesterday morning.

BT / Plusnet users struggling to open outlook links that leverage safelinks.

Sounds like a DNS issue.

Message 3 of 16

Not just you guys but @Les-Gibson reported recently that the DNS issue even breaks links in BT's own emails! Case in point was the recent price rise email.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Hmmm-can-t-reach-this-page/m-p/2353149

You can apparently get round it by manually entering Google's DNS on the device you use to access email.

Message 4 of 16

That's correct, I was unable to open a link in an email from BT whilst using BT DNS servers but the same link opened up fine when I switched to Google DNS.

Says a lot about BT DNS that you can't even trust it to resolve a link to their own web site

Message 5 of 16

I have the same issue. Need to use a VPN to make it work... I guess it's a DNS issue?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

@jasonmleds12 

Yes it is a DNS issue.

I got round it by changing the DNS server address to Google (8.8.8.8) at machine level so no VPN required 

Message 7 of 16

Definitely a DNS issue at BT's servers - the A record for eur03 in the safelinks.protection.outlook.com zone is missing from their servers, which is what our M365/O365 is using to check links in emails.

Nothing that we can do, it's waiting for BT to acknowledge there's a problem and address it.  The only workaround for is to manually configure local IP settings on devices to use other public DNS services (e.g., Google DNS servers on 8.8.8.8), but this will effectively bypass BT's parental controls and Web Protect service.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

@MightyGeorgewrote:

The only workaround for is to manually configure local IP settings on devices to use other public DNS services (e.g., Google DNS servers on 8.8.8.8), but this will effectively bypass BT's parental controls and Web Protect service.

There's always OpenDNS for protection & other posts suggest that BT's Parental Controls are of the chocolate fireguard standard.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

I have same issue. Cannot access any link from outlook. Had to change to several global DNS as a work around. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Spent some time speaking with BT tech support last night and shared a bunch of data, and they've opened an internal incident to look into it. Details haven't been shared, but was quoted 5 days to resolve (which is what they always say). Fingers crossed we see something by Wednesday 13th March.