cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Left BT - but how to delete email and ID

Go to solution

Hi Community,

I have left BT it has been more than 2 years now, but my bt mail associated with it is still active - I don't really need it anymore and would like to delete it. I recently tried to login into the myBT account and went through (did not know it still worked) and noticed that the email still says 'due to be downgraded' but probably been like that for ages! Do I need to wait for it to be downgraded whatever it means to delete it? If not, how do I delete it, is there a button to click to do that that you are aware?  Finally, do BT delete automatically the myBT accounts and personal details of old customers, I would have thoguht for GDPR they should do so but when typically?

Any help appreciated, thanks pine

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Left BT - but how to delete email and ID

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks for the prompt reply and the link. I have just tried to log into the myBT to proceed and I am presented with  a screen saying:

---------------------------------------

We're launching something new

We’ve got some changes to make to our website, but we'll be back up and running again soon.
We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for your patience.

-----------------------------------------

and I cannot go past it. Is it a common recent issues anybody else is experienceing right now?

Thanks, pine

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

As an update I did manage to enter MyBT and delete the email, which is now showing as 'due to be deleted' in 60 days - when I log in to the email it now says it has been disabled and cannot access to it anymore.

A final question if I may - there is in the 'manage email options' a tab allowing to delete it immediately, I suppose the difference is that if I do that no emails can be received at all (so the senders will receive an undeliverable message) whilst if I do nothing for 60 days the emails are received so a sender will not know the email is inactive? If that is the case I better delete it fully right now rather than wait 60 days?

Thanks, pine

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The account is suspended allowing you to reactivate it. Senders should get an undeliverable message. To check send it an email from another account.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

If it hasn't received any email in say the last 12 months, you can probably delete it now. Otherwise it may be better to cancel the deletion & either forward all mail to your current address or add an "out of office" type message advising that the account is dead. Then when you're sure no one else is going to use it you can delete it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks again to both responders process is clear now. Pine

0 Ratings