cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Password to reset e-mail on my iphone

Hello, I would be grateful for some help please.  I have just purchased a new iphone 12 (previous one stolen), I am trying to set up to receive and send emails but I do not know the password... I thought it was the same that I use to access my email from the browser on my desk top computer but it does not work.  I even tried ChatCPT but I could not follow the instructions bcs it says "find Passwords and Accounts" in Settings and I cannot find "Passwords and Accounts" (I can find Passwords but it does not work).

Is there any advice please?
Many thanks!

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Password to reset e-mail on my iphone

Your email password is the same from wherever you access it.

Message 3 of 21

Can you still access your email on your desk top computer, if not it may be that the thief that stole your phone has accessed your email account and changed it's password.

If you can still access the email account on your PC see the following link.

Set up your BT Email | How to access your email | BT Help

Message 4 of 21

Thank you, I can access email from my desk top at home and even from my (new) mobile if I go in from the browser!   But I cannot seem to get the (in built) app to work, but I will read the instructions you sent, thank you very much...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Are you a BT Broadband customer or do you pay for your email through a BT Premium email account?

If neither of these your email account will have been downgraded to  BTMail Basic account and that only works via a web browser and can not be used with an email app.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Many thanks for the reply, I am indeed a BT broadband client and I have just spent several minutes on the telephone with a BT employee, she's managed to get my mobile to receive emails but not to send.  (I can do both from desk top).

We deleted and reinstalled the account on the mobile.  She tried and tried but in the end she told me to go to the Apple shop (not too far from me).

I just don't know what to think...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

@VittoInTheDark have you considered using the BT email app?

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Thank you Neil, no I had not thought of it;  I have just spent a couple of hours on the telephone with Apple Support (after the BT person), I was passed on to second level (Apple Technical Support Senior Advisor), they could not figure it out either and are going to speak to an engineer and ring back tomorrow.

I feel this may be too advanced for me - I can access my email on my mobile with bt.com / email on the iphone browser (safari) for the time being... 

Thank you for your help

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Hi @VittoInTheDark No problem, it's there if you want to give it a go.

Have you tried an email password reset to see if that will allow you to add your email to your iPhone?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

When setting up an iPhone email and entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.

When you changed your BT password on an iPhone it may only have changed for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.