cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Password to reset e-mail on my iphone

Thank you very much,

I went into Settings > Contacts > Accounts, I found Outgoing Mail Server SMTP mail.btinternet.com, I updated the password, but still nothing going out.  Emails are staying in Outbox and I am getting this:

Cannot send mail

The connection to the outgoing server "mail.btinternet.com" failed.  Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured for Mail accounts in Settings > Mail > Accounts.

But - the 2nd level assistance (Apple Technical Support Senior Advisor) has taken ownership of this and is going to speak to an engineer and they have promised to call me back tomorrow after 12 noon, I have a case number... fingers crossed...

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

When you say you updated the password, does that mean that it was not the same as the Incoming password?

Are both the passwords on the iPhone the same and are they the same as the one you use to log onto your email account on your web browser?

I would suggest that if Apple can not resolve the problem, and I suspect that they won't, that you turn your iPhone off and any other device that you use to access your email account other than you desktop computer, then change your email password on webmail and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour to allow the servers to sync and then add the new password to your iPhone remembering when entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin... 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Thank you for your message;  it is just one password for all (desk top browser, iphone, incoming, outgoing...), sorry for the confusion.

I will try your suggestion;  (I do not have any other devices except my desktop and an iphone...)

Just one thing, I did not see anything that looked like "use same as incoming" at any time including the time I spent with BT, then Apple staff, and just now... I just entered the password manually...

Will try now... thank you...

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Hello,

last night I did as you suggested, turned off my iphone, changed the password on the web mail, this morning I turned on my mobile and changed the password on settings and also on Calendar... was it meant to be one or the other?  Anyway, it is still not sending emails;  afterwards I spoke to the Apple senior advisor, he got me to check something I did not really understand about a Calendar and then as you anticipated he claimed it was a provider issue;  I replied I cannot accept that as my email works perfectly on web browser and always worked on previous iPhones (phone calls are recorded).  I think if they cannot get me a fully working iPhone I will ask for a refund frankly, I bought this new in an Apple Store and I expect them to give me a working telephone...

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Can you try a different email app such the Bluemail app to see if that will work. You can get the app, which is free, from the Apple store.

It should more or less set itself up once you have entered your username etc but if you do require any settings you will find them in this link.

BT Email server settings | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

thank you very much for the suggestion!

I subsequently spoke to a nice person from BT technical support (actually his email was EE but I went through the BT website) and basically he tried a few tricks and then suggested installing the BT app, which works.

So I have an email app on my iPhone, it's just that, you know, I paid a fee for a brand new iPhone from an Apple Store when I could have bought a cheaper/used one, well iPhone 12 not the latest model but still... you expect it to work... 

The BT guy pointed out it could just be a minor mismatch between what I typed and the settings... although I cannot find anything.

At one point we thought we were getting somewhere as some tests I sent, appeared in my Sent folder, but none have actually arrived, it is now about four hours...

I actually have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at what they call "The Genius Bar" in the Apple Store near where I live, last ditch attempt... 

Thank you very much for your support!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

If the BTMail app is sending and receiving emails on your iPhone at least you know there is nothing wrong with your settings, username and password or the BT servers and the problem must be something to do with the Apple email app or the settings within the app.

As a last ditch attempt if you can be bothered, if you have been letting the Apple email app automatically set its self up I would suggest that you set it up manually by selecting "Other" when adding a new account and enter all the relevant settings manually.

Before doing that, delete your BT email account from the Apple app an then restart the iPhone to clear out any residual settings.

See the following link.

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Message 18 of 21

Thank you for your suggestion, this had already been tried. I went to the Apple Store yesterday and as you anticipated, they were so unhelpful. They claimed they do not guarantee that the email app will work with all emails, and totally blamed it on BT, claiming google is full of people complaining their BT openworld email does not work with an iPhone and this is due to BT settings being oldfashioned and bla bla. I have never had this before and I am soooo fed up now. I am now seriously considering getting a refund. They actually gave me an extra two weeks to change my mind. (The problem is, if I return it, then what do I do? What mobile can I get?) It is not just the app... there are so many "buggy" things... for example if I follow a trusted link from an email, on the desktop no problem, from the iphone ... ooops there is a problem, try again later... And it randomly tells me "photo recognition", then nothing happens and it randomly moves to inputting the code... sorry I am not explaining myself... But it is just not a patch on my old SE...
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Just get a Google Pixel phone, Apple are so overrated.

Message 20 of 21

If you keep the iPhone just use another email app such as the BTMail one that you are presently using or try another one such as the Bluemail app and put the iPhone email app behind you and move on.

If you are not happy with the phone just take it back and get a different phone. Personally I prefer Android phones to the over rated expensive Apple iPhones.