cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

TV Licensing scam emails

Just as a warning to people that there are some scam TV Licensing emails doing the rounds at the moment that are getting through BT's spam filters.

There are some obvious signs that they are not genuine, including:

They are coming from email addresses ending .jp

They spell 'licence' as 'license'.

Other clues are noted here:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ288#email

I have marked then as spam (to try and help BT's spam filters to learn) and forwarded them to report@phishing.gov.uk 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: TV Licensing scam emails

@andydenyer 

Thanks.

Note your "They spell 'licence' as 'license'" is back to front as license is correct!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Carlusha 

Not in the UK. Licence (with a 'c') is the noun, license (with an 's') is the verb.
https://english-grammar-lessons.co.uk/easily_confused/licence_license.htm

So the link I provided takes you to the TV Licensing website (so with an 's' as being used as a verb), but therein they refer to the licence itself spelt with a 'c'. You will find that the same is true on your TV Licence itself (if you have one).

Message 4 of 8

@Carlusha wrote:

@andydenyer 

Thanks.

Note your "They spell 'licence' as 'license'" is back to front as license is correct!

See link

https://english-grammar-lessons.co.uk/easily_confused/licence_license.htm

Message 5 of 8

@andydenyer @gg30340 

Sorry, I cite my age and too much exposure to licensing scams attempting to persuade us to renew our licences!

Yes, I do have a license, obtained from the Licensing Authorities, having dipped deeply into my wallet to satisfy the official request using the correct renewal process. I looked forward to an old age discount but, of course, that never happened!

Message 6 of 8

@Carlusha @gg30340 

No problem, I'm sure I've been guilty of using Americanisms that have crept in to the English language over recent years!

Incidentally, I've just received another scam email, again from an email address ending .jp, so I've now added a rule to divert these away from my inbox seeing as BT's spam filters haven't learnt to recognise them just yet!

Message 7 of 8

Have your rule send it to spam so that the spam filters can start to recognise it as spam.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@gg30340 

OK - will do!

To be honest, I didn't realise it would work like that and report things directed to the spam folder as spam. I thought you had to highlight any spam emails landing in your inbox and mark them as spam yourself. So I had set up a 'pre-spam' folder (for want of a better term) to direct anything that the spam filters weren't picking up but where I had set any rules in lieu of that (e.g. anything from the domains ending .click, .sbs, .shop etc.).

0 Ratings