cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT Digital Phone Service is the broadband free?

Hello 

My father in law has just moved and taken out a new BT digital phone line £ 11 a month,  he received a new smart hub with it.  It has broadband built in which is live,  how much will he pay for the broadband or is it free?

Naturally as he's 88 he doesn't want excessive charges if he uses it

Thanks 

James.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Digital Phone Service is the broadband free?

@jfatherley13 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

The broadband is needed to provide the phone connect and does not involve any extra charge.

Although the broadband is live, I would not expect any access to the Internet, its just there to connect to the new Digital Voice service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Hi Keith 

Thank you for your quick reply appreciated.

I did connect my phone to the Smart Hub and was able to browse the internet,  the speed also seemed very fast as well. Will BT restrict how data you can browse for free,   he has a smart TV so I was thinking of connecting it to the Hub.

Thanks  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

I have asked a moderator to comment, as this is the first time anyone has posted about this, so a definitive answer would help.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Hmm, it sounds as though he has a full broadband service. I didn't think any form of Digital Voice only service was being rolled out yet.

Can you post a screenshot of the hub manager stats page please?  192.168.1.254 > advanced settings > technical log > information.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

£11 seems rather cheap, as its normally £26.35.

Could this be a home essentials package?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Hi yes no problem will do, he's a different address so will pop across and get a screen shot. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@jfatherley13 

I think its this that he may have. That is close to the price you mentioned.

• Home essentials (for those with no income) - £11.99 upfront then £15/month for up to 36Mb plus unlimited minutes calling plan
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

I think there is some discount if you don't want broadband! The irony is he got it anyway....
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Be interesting to get the exact details and price , if someone moved into a home that was FTTP , or even one with copper , but only wanted telephony, given there is no longer a way to order a ‘WLR’ phone line , and some type of broadband is necessary for Digital Voice ,  the assumption has always been that a very small bandwidth product (0.5Mb ) would be provided in the background , that enables calls ( because that only needs a tiny amount if bandwidth) , but would be almost useless for the ‘internet’ , even if a SH2 router were provided so there is a place to plug in the phone .

I suspect ( as already stated ) they will have been supplied with a cheap Home Essentials broadband deal , even if they think they ordered a phone only service, it would be an easy sell , as it’s cheaper than a traditional standalone phone line anyway , the broadband is effectively free , but do they qualify for the product ( which is normally dependent on being in receipt of certain benefits ) , or is it simply a way to get around providing a phone only service when copper phone service is no longer available  ?

0 Ratings